?'s about 60's 10hp evinrude

jthompson89

Recruit
I just fixed up my first boat and I had an old motor given to me. It is an early 60's with the 1 quart to 6 gallon mix. It had been sitting in a shed covered up for 15 years, but it is in great shape and underneath the hood looks brand new. The previous owner said it always ran great when they used it.

The problem is that after I changed the lubricant oil and spark plugs I put the choke on and gave it several pulls, and it started up, but lots of white smoke was coming out the bottom and It was getting hot so I shut it off. I didn't notice it pissing.

I don't know much about these things, so any help would be great. thanks,

Jon

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: ?'s about 60's 10hp evinrude

Welcome to iboats.

Im sure your waterpump/impeller needs servicing, along with a few other items, such as a carb rebuild. An OEM service manual would be a wise investment, check ebay or outboardbooks.com for a factory reprint.

This is an excellent thread in the FAQ you should read.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

This may help with the impeller service.

"http://www.meegsonline.com/tmd/waterpump.wmv"

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know what brand motor you have. I have a 63' Johnson and was told 50:1 mix, is that not correct for Johnson/ Evenrude?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Really depends on the exact year, although there is always some controversy on the exact year change depending on who you talk to. Most on here agree that after 1963 the pre mix changed to 50:1 from 24:1, others say 1965. What is your model number jthompson?

Here is a handy chart for pre mixing your fuel.

"http://www.tohatsu.com/tech_info/oil_gas.html"

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

last year for the 10 was 63 officially 24:1 mix.It uses friction bearings at the center main and piston pin.

jthompson89

Recruit

I took the lower unit off, everything was normal, and rebuilt the carb. Starts on first pull now, but lots of white smoke, is that normal. It says on the lid 1 quart to 6 gallons, so I know its 24:1. I don't see any other number on it besides the serial. thanks for the replys

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It's supposed to smoke.

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Don't let the smoke bother you. I had a 63 and it smoked like a chimney, but always ran good. Sorry I ever sold it.
Nightstalker

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

It will smoke especially on first few times after a long lay up.It also will seem more smokey in a barrel or on muffs.Most likely you need to adjust the low and high speed mixture screws.There is also a chance that the fuel pump may have a hole in the diaphram allowing gas into one cylinder.If smoke doesn't settle down check it out.

jthompson89

Recruit

thanks for all the help, I'm glad to hear the smoke is normal.

wbeaton

Commander

Using synthetic oil will also greatly lower the amount of smoke and oily sheen left on the water.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

They all smoke. Especially in a garage! I cant see 5' after running one of mine for 5 minutes... What model # is it though? You never posted it?

jthompson89

Recruit

i don't know what the model number is, is that the same as the serial number? That is the only number I can find on it

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Model and serial numbers differ.

Look on the transom braket, if not there, look for the welch plug. It will be about the size of a quarter, around the top rear of the motor, and will have the model number posted on it.

A picture would also help id it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Evinrude puts the model number and serial number on the same line, separated by a hyphen (-). Example: 10302-1234, where 10302 is the model and 1234 is the serial.