temp sensor 1980 75 hp

CBINMN

Seaman
Johnson model J75TRLCSA I am rebuilding motor and the original temp sensor is a bit rusted from blown head gasket and while it is apart I want to replace it. The BRP website shows 386686 as part # but the original only has 1 brown wire coming out and I saw one on Ebay that says it is 386686 but has 2 wires coming out "http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-OMC-JOHNSON-EVINRUDE-TEMPATURE-SWITCH-386686_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ26455QQihZ024QQitemZ370023270062QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW" . If it is , what do I do with the other wire?

Here is what I have done so far:

Bored .020 over and checked for warpage of head
new pistons, rings, all bearings, rebuilt carbs, new water pump complete, all new coils
During tear down found water had gotten to rod and crank bearings so I picked up another powerhead cheap and used crank and 1 rod from that.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:

CBINMN

Seaman
Re: temp sensor 1980 75 hp

I've been doing some looking around for answers also and is it possible the tan wire in the 386686 sensor is for temp guage? and brown for overheat alarm?

Thanks
Chris

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Temp sensor or temp switch?
If you have a temp gauge it will be a sensor, If you just have a overheat warning horn it will be a temp switch, when engine reaches 175 degrees then it will short and the over temp alarm/horn will come on.

If yours is installed in your head then that would be a switch, if it is a sensor then it will be on a bracket.

the two wire temp switches is the brown wire hooks to your knife connector and the other wire should go to ground, where as the OEM ones I installed a few weeks ago on the 115 would make contact internally no need for a ground wire.

Sounds like you have a temp switch and if you want use the two wire it should work, just make sure it is the correct degree switch for your application.

CBINMN

Seaman

thanks it is the switch so I will jus ground other wire.

Chris