Winter Largemouth Fishing

Barkleylake

Recruit
I've fished a number of bass tournaments, but they have all taken place in spring, summer, and fall. A winter tournament has now intrigued my interest, but after fishing today at Barkley Lake in Kentucky I only caught one keeping bass. (And this was basically out of luck.) I love to fish the plastic worm in Texas rig style, but this hasn't offered the best results. Any suggestions other than to fish slow? Thank you for any suggestions.

Re: Winter Largemouth Fishing

well can you give us a little more info please. What are the conditions... water temp, weather ect..

thanks

Joseph

Barkleylake

Recruit

The elevation of Lake Barkley was 355.8 feet and the surface water temperature was 41 degrees. Summer pool is 359 feet and winter pool is 354 feet. Generally misty and rainy.

FLATHEAD

Commander

41 degrees makes for some tuff fishing. I would try a blade bait like a silver buddy.

41 is tough fishing. but can still be done. ther are a coupel of ways you can do it. First find some of the deepest water, and find sumberged humps, rockes, brushpiles or any cover in that deep water. I would try dropshotting, jiggin a spoon vertical, throwing a jig at the submerged cover, slow rolling spinnerbaits at the bottom, or even throw an oversized swimbait about 7 inches long at all teh deep cover.. just concentrate in the deep points, secondary points and submerged cover in deep water 20+ feet.

hope this helps

gonefishie

Commander

Barkley and Kentucky is all about structure fishing. Rock piles and ledges are the keys. You can go to fishin.com and go down to the Kentucky forum and gets help there. There should be a bunch of guys with in-depth knowledge with that bodies of water who will help you.