optimist pram

kayakn

Seaman Apprentice
does anyone have this boat? i am going to get one and put a 2.5 horsepower on it and it will have a sail. i was wondering if anyone has one of these boats and what they can say about it

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: optimist pram

Maybe a discription for those of us who never heard of this.Also
where and how do you intend to use it.

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have sailed those prams before. They are fine boats. I wouldn't recomend this but I had one out in 25-30 knots of wind. I was on a plane at every angle of sail. I don't know if I would attach a motor to one. last time i was on one I was about 12 now i'm 14 but I remember the transoms not being heavy duty. They were just light little prams. I out grew them and now I sail catamarans.

Last edited:

kayakn

Seaman Apprentice

i am fifteen so i should not be TO big for it. i know how to sail and if there is no wind i would like to motor it. ill probably have to reinforce the transom, but i will figure the motor out when i get it.

Thanks,kayakn

jerrymalone

Recruit

If your Optimist has an wooden stern, you must reinforce it. An extra 18 mm ply will do. If you have an GRP boat you should try to fix an extra board (18 mm ply). As the Optimist's weight normally is not more 30-40 kilo's, a motor with max 2 HP will do. Even an electric motor ( 1Hp) will do fine.

tommays

Admiral

pram.jpg

Well the lack of a motor rating plate would stop most :rolleyes:

Tommays

srothfuss

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I saw one of these on display at the 2008 Strictly Sail Chicago about 2 weeks ago. Wouldn't it just be easier and far cheaper to drop sail and pull out the oar [paddle] and row yourself back to shore if the need arose.

kayakn

Seaman Apprentice

the boat is fairly old and i already have a piece of mahogany plywood that i will use for reinforcing the stern. as far as sailing, i am going to sail most of the time
unless there is no wind and the boat does not tack well upwind. i will also use the boat for fishing so i will mainly motor while i am fishing.