what kind of alternator is this?

ryan04

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi guy's I've got a 91 bayliner with an alpha one 3.0L. The alternator needs to be replaced or rebuilt. What kind of alternator is this? Can any alternator rebuild shop rebuild it or does it have to be rebuilt by a marine shop? thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: what kind of alternator is this?

What kind of alternator you have, who knows. It may have been changed since new, so impossible to say what you actually have.
There are tags on them and you could always post a picture.
As far as the "can it be rebuilt " part of your question goes, yes, they can. Take it to your local starter/alternator rebuild shop (yellow pages of phone book). Most marine shops do not rebuild starters and alternators, they just replace them.

wakeboarddude

Seaman Apprentice

Whats wrong with it? If it is just rusted or seized up, starters are fairly simple to take apart and clean up.

Bondo

Staff member

Whats wrong with it? If it is just rusted or seized up, starters are fairly simple to take apart and clean up.

Ayuh,......

But that won't Help much with a Bad Alternator.......:rolleyes:

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Take it to a repair shop like Don S. said & have it rebuilt right or buy new....
The rebuild should be cheap enough that it is not worth your time to mess with it....;)

wakeboarddude

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,......

But that won't Help much with a Bad Alternator.......:rolleyes:

Ha Ha, some help i am. DUH.

Ryan, If you're not sure of a good shop in langley, Brighouse Auto Electric in Richmond is excellent. They will repair or have a replacement for most anything. Great service too.
604-273-4904

Hopefully thats a little more helpful.

Coors

Captain

I took a gmc marine alt to alternator shop; didn't want my core, but rebuilt one, $125.