1996 Johnson 112 SPL losing power

JJags3

Seaman
My Johnson 112 SPL runs great most of the time. When I get on a plane and running close to wide open, it will lose power, like the key had been turned off. If I throttle back during this time, it will "catch up" with itself and seems to run OK. I replaced the water/fuel filter and it has had a fresh tune-up. Other than this, it runs great at lower speeds, idle speeds, etc.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1996 Johnson 112 SPL losing power

if running a built in take check the air vent, sounds like it gets clogged, and the motor can't pump enough gas.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

Did you change fuel lines recently? If so, did it come from Wally World? I once did this on my V4, and the motor did the same thing. if you look closely, the fuel line itself is smaller, and the bulb has problems as well. Change it with a known good one to see if it helps.

JJags3

Seaman

No sir, not Wally World. Fuel lines have not been changed.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The idea is to eliminate the tank, fuel and fuel line as the possible problem; buy borrow or steal a known good tank and fuel line with at least 5/16 hose and fresh gas and oil and give it a try. If the problem is still there, you can move on up the checklist.

TD_Maker

Chief Petty Officer

Zeke,
This was exactly my point. For some reason, the generic fuel line from the box store gave me all sorts of problems. I switched back to the old one, and the problem disappeared.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Zeke,
This was exactly my point. For some reason, the generic fuel line from the box store gave me all sorts of problems. I switched back to the old one, and the problem disappeared.

Same thing for the aftermarket fuel primer bulbs. I would go OEM only.