water in the oil 350 chevy 1500

My uncle called me today and asked my advice on what he should do. He changed his oil and found it milky. Its a 2000 1500 350ci. I figure alot of folks use this type of truck for tow vehicles and need to know if anyone has run into this and it NOT be a blown head gasket or cracked head.Any adeas ? thanks. I told him to change the oil and quickly go trade UP to a big FORD DEISEL.......but hes a 100% chevy man..

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: water in the oil 350 chevy 1500

Does he or has he been having to add coolant to his truck?

rwise

Captain

3 cracked block or sleeve
4 condensate

If he has added coolant (or maybe just really low) then that's where it's coming from. If he does not warm it up completely and drive at least 5 minutes with it fully warmed, then it could be moisture condensed from the air.

Pull the plugs and tell us what they look like! While you have them out run a compression test and post that also.

If it is a blown head gasket, and you change them, follow the re-torque very carefully as 350 chevy heads crack easily! (Have the heads been off recently?)

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I believe that motor has a problem with the intake manifold leaking at the back. You may just have to reseal it. But you also may want to do a compression test and a coolant system pressure test.

MikDee

Banned

It is fairly common for the intake manifold gaskets to go bad, on all the late model Chevrolet engines, trucks especially, (they're driven harder) V6, or V8, & start leaking coolant into the oil. I believe it is a crappy orig. equip. gasket, and they went to an aluminum manifold over 10yrs ago, instead of cast iron, with cast iron heads. (different expansion rates). The next thing to check is a bad head gasket, I doubt it's a cracked block, they're pretty sturdy, unless you have no antifreeze in them in subfreezing weather.

Whatever he does, tell him to get rid of the Dexcool (nasty stuff) in the process, and put in a good brand of regular antifreeze. Hope this helps.

turfman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Intake manifold.

My 2002 2500 has done it once and will be needing it again soon. But with over 300, 000 miles I'm not complaining.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Could also be a head gasket problem as well. Has it ever been overheated?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.......

It's the Same motor We run in our Boats,....
The Diagnostics are Also the Same......
Run a Compression,+ Leak-down Tests,.....
If either of those don't pin-point the Problem,......

Pressurize the Cooling System,+ then you'll Know for Sure where it's leaking.....

cbear34

Petty Officer 2nd Class

He can also look under the engine and see if he has an external leak near the rear of the engine. The Chevy intakes always leak, either into the engine or down the rear of the block at the transmission. Hopefully thats all it is.:)

thanks for the advice.I passed it on to my uncle. He wanted me to fix it but since hes worth about a million and can afford it I declined the job..

JMRuth72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it was my uncle and I liked him I would probably do it for free. If I didn't like him I would tell him sure, but you are going to pay me for my time.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Dexacool again.

I had a feeling that was coming...:D

I agree with the head gasket or more likely the intake manifold gasket.
Intake gasket replacement will run him about 500 bucks at a shop.
Parts are about 90 bucks.
Tell him to have that quick connect heater hose fitting on the front left corner on the intake replaced also.The part is 12 bucks. If its the original it will start leaking..

PierBridge

Chief Petty Officer

Intake gasket.....not a new problem or related to any type of coolant!
Plastic gaskets.......

TilliamWe

Banned

Intake gasket.....not a new problem or related to any type of coolant!
Plastic gaskets.......

Yep you're absolutely right, the Dexcool is a Second totally unrelated screw up by GM.
Change the junk intake manifold gasket and get the Dexcool out of there, pronto!