grey oil

ppinho

Recruit
I just bought a boat that has a rebuilt 1994 johnson 48 special motor on it and i took it out for the first time today i noticed a grey like substance coming from the prop is this because of the oil gas mixture exshaust or should i be wooried

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: grey oil

It is possible that what you see is carbon, unburnt fuel/oil mix. Have you checked the lu oil to ensure that it is topped up, better yet change it? Not a bad idea anyways on a new motor to you. If that oil is low, or milky, you have water intrusion into the lu.

This may help describing the suspect oil.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=207285

kynolan2183

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Grey and milky from inside the through hub exhaust is a good thing.
Means the motor is getting good fuel and you are not running lean. A lean two stroke is short for this world.

Grey and milky in the lower unit is bad. Means water is getting into the foot. On the bottom of the foot is a drain plug. On the top of the foot is a vent plug.

Drain the foot and replace the oil is always a good thing to do with any new to you motor. Fill until oil comes out the vent hole. Hold finger over drain hole replace vent hole plug then replace drain hole plug.

Some people say that you need to change the nylon washer ever time but I have not had any problems with doing it every 5th or sixth change.

I put a lot of hours on a boat 300 to 400 a year.

I replace plugs once a month and change the lower unit gear oil every month.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Sorry, but Ill have to disagree.

The white drain and gear washers are "crush" washers, and should only be used once. They do not have the same effect the second, third time around. The drain and vent screw holes are the number 1 spot for water intrusion, in many cases, and I would not jeopardize that for the pennies that the washers are worth. I buy them by the bag.

That is just my own humble opinion though. Could be wrong (wouldnt be the first time ;) )

I find these oil pumps a bit handier and cleaner than the tubes of oil. They come with an adaptor to screw into the drain screw, allowing minimal mess and waste.

W-Johnson-lower-unit-oil-pump.jpg

kynolan2183

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chris,

Your right they should be thrown away but it depends on where you live as to how easy they are to get and what kind of garage you have.

I live in a small bass ackwards arkansaw hick town where I have only on place to buy that kind of stuff and he charges you a nice amount.
4.95 for two in a nice little prepacked box.

My garage is shared with two kids a wife and all of the motor toys that come with living in the country ( Thus if a purchased 100 of them my creative 8 year boy would southern engineer "himself" a washer shooter before I even noticed they were gone.

But I guess I could always walk around the back forty picking them up when needed.

Kyle