"How to" pocket door.

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer
I am thinking of installing a pocket door to my den but cannot find enough illustrated diagram on how to install one. I tried google it but not enough details on how to do it. Can someone help me on this little project. Thanks.

blouderback

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: "How to" pocket door.

I just finished helping my neice and her husband install one. Lowes sells a kit, which consists of a track and frame, basically. You supply the door, and hang it on the track. It's very easy, actually.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=61188-31843-153068PF

If you're installing it in an existing wall, you will need to demo the wall where the door will go into the pocket, in order to install the frame. Then you'll have to re-drywall it.

Here's a website that has some nice pictures:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/home_improvement/4212294.html

beezee28

Master Chief Petty Officer

In the picture from Popmechanic there is no header, question is don't you need a header at the top of the door so that it don't sag in the middle? Thanks

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

There is a header, the track is attached to it. There's a pic of it going in...step 5...

cut_04-0207.gif

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the wall is not load bearing you don't need a huge load bearing header.

passingwindII

Seaman

this trick only works for 2 x 6 walls so if your building a wall for a pocket door read on. Using a 2 x 6 scribe 1 1/2 to both sides of your bottom plate, cutting out the 2 inch in the middle that s where your door pocket is. use 2x4 side ways instead of the metal studs they give you in the kit. pocket doors from the kit tend to have a flimsy wall, plus you cant hang big stuff off the wall. maybe that will help you

Benny1963

Lieutenant

and make sure your trim man does not nail your door closed when he runs the base
bennyb