Rented harmonic puller but

polk county

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I rented a harmonic puller from auto zone. I can’t tell weather or not the 1/4 " bolts that came with it are grade 8. There are no markings on the bolts and they are a shiny silver color. Anyone have experience with this auto zone puller?

Thanks

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rented harmonic puller but

I used to be an assistant manager for the world's largest automotive aftermarket retailer AUTOZONE.

I would not reccomend using the bolts supplied with the puller, go to the local hardware store and purchase grade#8 bolts, that way you know you have good new bolts and threads for your project.

I believe and do not quote me as this is from memory that you need to mark the bolts at 7/16" depth and thread them that deep then go ahead and remove the flywheel, you need to be careful as when the flywheel does pop off it has a tendacy to really POP off, also do not lose the key that is under the flywheel.

Make sure when you re-install the flywheel it is dry, no lubricant and torque to what your manual says torque specs are.

PLease double check the depth of the bolt into the flywheel I believe it is 7/16", still on the first cup of coffee here at the office.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

get the correct bolts, picking threads out of the flywheel is not fun.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Just out curiosity, how much did it cost you to rent the puller?

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Jay,
The old policy was you pay full price for the loaner tool, then when you bring it back you get full refund of money, no cost.

This might have changed in the last few years but still bet it is in effect.

Most speciality tools are available for "rent/loaner" tools, but I do nto believe any electrical test tools are available for loaner program. Gets the customers in the stores if you loan them the tools for free they also buy the parts for the repairs