waterpump question

imported_rusty

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ok 83 johnson 35 hp can i just replace the impeller or do i need the whole kit? i just put a whole waterpump kit on 1 or 2 years ago. just seeing if i can get away with the impeller. thanks russ

iwombat

Captain
Re: waterpump question

In general, I'd say yes just the impeller would probably do.

Modifiers:
How much sand or goo you suck up into your cooling system.
How many hours on your last pump kit.

Inspect all the seals, and make sure you at least get any appropriate o-rings including the one at the top of the drive shaft if so equipped.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Inspect the housing for any grooving. If so, replace.

imported_rusty

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i have about 10 hrs on it max, its on my duck hunting boat. yea i do suck up mud from time to time with it. so who has the cheapest price with shipping?

iwombat

Captain

Like mentioned before inspect the liner for grooves and wear. If you find anything replace it.

That being said, if it was my boat and I routinely sucked up bits of bottom I'd just get a whole kit and be done with it.

iwombat

Captain

Look hard at the pump housing you remove. If it looks good, save it and just order an impeller next time. You can then decide if you need to swap out the housing w/ your spare during the job.

Like I said, if you're routinely sucking up bottom chances are you've probably grooved the one you have. Never hurts to have a spare for next time though.

imported_rusty

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i replaced the housing last year or the year before that. you should of saw the one that came out of it. wow! still have it, anyway i will replace the whole thing. what is the recommended time to change waterpumps ? every year or two years? i got a 85 force i did 2 years ago just trying to decide if i need to do it this coming spring.

iwombat

Captain

I do mine every couple of seasons. I just do the impellers and inspect the housing since I never suck up anything but water, except whatever's been churned up on the ramp.