Expected results with fiberglass/gelcoat repair

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OK, I've been around here a while and have read many fiberglass repair threads. I have a job I need to do (or have done) on my 1985 19' mark Twain. It's not a showpiece boat but not in bad condition either. However, there was this little collision between the bow and the dock......well you get the picture. Anyways I'm wondering just how bad/good i can expect the results to be and if I am thinking through the repair correctly. here's the plan.

Basically, i have a maybe 8 inch section right on the center line (tip) maybe 2 ft from the rail. it's just below the U-Ring for pulling onto the trailer. The deepest part is maybe 1/8 into the glass, not quite all the way through.

So, i figured I'd rough sand it. Clean with mineral spirits or whatever. Then layer some glass (do I use epoxy resin or poly ??? as maybe the current glass used poly - but I have no idea). So, maybe a few layers cut to the general shape of the gouge, smaller at first to fill the deeper wound. Then one last layer that overlaps the "good" glass edges.

Sand it all down then try as best I can to match the gelcoat. It's an off-white color which may help a bit I'd guess. I've never gelcoated, but will ask detail questions later on.

Anyone care to guess how well this can be done or how awful it will look? Again, not a showpiece boat but I have my pride..... All advise is welcome!

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Expected results with fiberglass/gelcoat repair

First off I don't think what you are trying to accomplish will need all that work. Take a look here:http://www.marinetex.com/

It dries white but not a "gel coat" white. Simply clean and prep the area and apply. Dries hard as nails and is made for little oops! projects such as yours.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

gc is prob right.....

can ya get picks?........

there is another way to repair it.....

but post picks if you can and look up the marine tex...more than likely..its the way to go for this job

cheers
oops

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK, Great. I was kinda scared of trying to glass-patch like that! Can I gelcoat over the Marine Tex if I want? If so, can I get gelcoat in many different shades to try to match the off-white as best I can?

When using the marine tex is it shapeable so I can get the edge of the keel shaped correctly? Can it be sanded to shape also?

Thanks a ton!

salty87

Commander

OK, Great. I was kinda scared of trying to glass-patch like that! Can I gelcoat over the Marine Tex if I want? If so, can I get gelcoat in many different shades to try to match the off-white as best I can?

When using the marine tex is it shapeable so I can get the edge of the keel shaped correctly? Can it be sanded to shape also?

Thanks a ton!

i'm pretty sure the instrux say gelcoat won't stick well to marine tex. their site has that info. not sure if you can color the marine tex though.

it is shapeable and sandable...easier to shape when still wet, sanding is pretty difficult, its hard stuff.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

gell coat repair can come with pigment......

but you gotta be a pro to match it...!

even then it doesnt allways come out the same color..

id try the marine tex.......

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So, I use marine Tex with no gelgoat over it? Can I add pigment to the marine tex to try to come close in color?

Also, I need to remove my tow pull U-Bolt (the one you attach thetrailer pull to) and shore up the area a bit. Basically, I need to fill in the current holes, fill around where it's been pulling out a bit then re-drill and replace the U-Bolt. Would I use Marine tex to fill this area as well? I'll be putting a metal plate in the inside and bolting up to that plate.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

that bow hook is a different story......

i think we need picks.......

unless it has had a major impact...just pull the hook and repair the gell coat around it using the marine tex.......then re install the hook......make sure to seal the holes as water can get into that area

the hook is actually a stainless steel u bolt......

behind the bolt is a glass covered peice of hardwood....cut in a c shaped design......very strong...

i have a picture of it in the "easy transom removal thread"....i inverted the bow eye...but you can see the block....

i dont know if i would suggest removing it.........need picks.

mostly the gellcoat around the eye is damaged due to crazing or chipping...but the shape of the glass is still very good....

keep us posted

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

just read some more....

did you say the bow eye is pulling thru?

check the inner bow eye block mentioned above for rot....

the c clamp..(bow eye) has a stainless steel plate that will not allow the bolt to pull thru......you need to get in there and check it for that plate and rot.

cheers
oops

Gelcoat-jon

Cadet

i'm pretty sure the instrux say gelcoat won't stick well to marine tex. their site has that info. not sure if you can color the marine tex though.

it is shapeable and sandable...easier to shape when still wet, sanding is pretty difficult, its hard stuff.

Epoxy over polyester will stick, poly over epoxy will not

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Need a little more info on the damage to recommend a repair method.

If all it is is a 1/8 deep scratch, then a filler could be used, if its actually cracked or crushed glass then more work will be need.