fuel leaking into water!!!

mikelars

Recruit
...alright, I don't know much about boats here, I'm trying to sell my 24' pontoon boat, it has a 70 Mercury outboard motor on it, and it is an '83. I haven't used it much the past two years, but I do start it up once in a while. It always fires right up with no problem. I have been having a problem with the trim, I couldn't get it to go back down. So I made sure it had hydrolic fluid, I filled it up. On the pump, there was a screw that I took off, and it had hydrolic fluid on it, so I thought maybe that was where I was supposed to fill it up at. I later found out that the two cylinders on the sides of the motor was where it was supposed to go. I found out that there was a cable loose and that's why the trim wouldn't go down because when I wiggled it, it went right down. I started it up after I fixed the trim, it started up right away like usual, but it was smoking a lot. I was letting it warm up, but then it died on me, and it won't start back up. I also notice a good amount of fuel leaking into the water...what do you think could be wrong with her???

outboardnut

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: fuel leaking into water!!!

it sounds to me like you just flooded teh engine..............
best bet and hope

Remove you're plugs and turn it over........wait a couple of minutes........install new plugs and see if she goes

You can also check to see if the engine has spark when you have the plugs removed......if she has spark then you flooded the girl

you lost me on the tilt and trim issues. I dont' know where you put fluid, hopefully you didn't oil the electric motor