Based on your Experience: Which Motor?

jpate9

Cadet
I am shopping for a new boat and I have a choice between a 90 HP ELPTO, 4 Stroke, or Optimax. Based on your collective experience, which motor would be best. I am new to boating in general and really value the experience I read in this particular forum. The boat is a Basstracker 190 TX.

Thanks

gss036

Commander
Re: Based on your Experience: Which Motor?

I am not a real fan of the OptiMax, but the newer models have most of the older problems fixed. The 4 stroke requires a little more maintence than a a 2 stroke. The opti is a direct inject engine engine. If it were me I would probably go with the 4 stroke. If the E-Tec were available, that would be my choice.

Bassgod

Seaman Apprentice

I have that same boat. Mine is a 2006 Pro 190. Go with the 115 Optimax. the 90 and 115 weigh the same, so you get more performance with the 115. The boat is rated for a 135, but that 135 adds another 60 pounds or so to a boat that already sets very low in the water in the rear. I have had 0 issues with mine and love it to death.

I am shopping for a new boat and I have a choice between a 90 HP ELPTO, 4 Stroke, or Optimax. Based on your collective experience, which motor would be best. I am new to boating in general and really value the experience I read in this particular forum. The boat is a Basstracker 190 TX.

Thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I have a new Merc. (07') 90 4-stroke and like it alot. Quiet, powerful and sips gas. But if you must have the absolute in performance, then the Opti would be the choice..