Is what I want possible?

Nack

Recruit
Wondering if I can have have my cake and eat it too. I live in a lake community within a two hour drive to the ocean. I would like a boat I can put my two young boys and wife in and play around the lakes. With the same boat I would want to head out to the Outer Banks and into some ocean waters. I know there is a big difference between inter coastal waterways and beyond.
So far I have been looking at Crownline 210 or the Tahoe Q8. Would either of these boats be able to give me what I am looking for, or do I need to go back to the Pioneer 197?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Is what I want possible?

For that sort of mixed use I think you want a Boston Whaler. I have used a 1966 Sakonnet 16, a 1981 Montauk 17 and a 1983 Outrage 18 for fishing both salt and fresh, but they aren't configured for family cruising. I think in your position I would be looking for a 1980s or 90s Revenge 22.

It can be found in pristine condition for a lot less bux than a new boat of less quality and reputation and will keep its value for many years.

Nack

Recruit

Thanks for the link and the suggestions. Unfortuantely my wife isn't keen on buying a use boat depsite the obvious $$ savings...

mattttt25

Commander

20' center console. 23' or 24' center console if the lake is big enough to warrant it.

Nack

Recruit

how big does a lake need to be to warrant 23-24ft?

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Unusual question, should get some interesting answers. I would say 4,000 acres.

Kelly

magster65

Commander

Any size... I usually have at least 2 passengers and I don't like being crowded so a 23 - 24 footer is right for me.

mattttt25

Commander

I don't know how big of a lake you're talking about. If there are other 23 footers on it, I'd guess it warrants it.

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know how big of a lake you're talking about. If there are other 23 footers on it, I'd guess it warrants it.

Excellent advice -- check out what other boats are on the lakes you'll be using. Our family cottage is on a small inland lake -- maybe 1 1/2 mile diameter. But it's quite shallow -- 60 feet from shore and you're barely above knee-deep. Most boats are 16' - 18' with shallow draft. A few times over the years we've seen some visitors with deep-V hulls 20'+. We really wonder how they even got it in the water since there are no concrete ramps, just sand. I wouldn't take any boat normally on our lake onto big water, though.

Nack

Recruit

Our lake is limited to 21ft boats and I believe the main lake is just 240 acres...

I also think 21ft is a good limit for first time boat owners - I don't think I would want to deal with larger - now we are debating adding cuddy cabins to our list to accomodate the little ones..

Thanks for the posts- learn something new with each

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Or figure on 2 boats, an 18' pontoon or 17' aluminum skiff for the little lakes, plus real boat for the ocean. Used pontoons can be pretty cheap.

Kelly

QC

Supreme Mariner

I also think 21ft is a good limit for first time boat owners - I don't think I would want to deal with larger
You are going to be fine with a good attitude like that. So many poeople simply do not understand this. 21 can even be big for a first timer, but is totally reasonable. It's guys that want 25 footers for their first ride that worry me . . .

now we are debating adding cuddy cabins to our list to accomodate the little ones

My first thought was forget it, a large Bimini and some strategically placed towels worked well for us and we boated with three infants, all open bow boats. They grow up quickly. However . . . a cuddy can hep with the seaworthiness for the offshore rides ;)

Kelly's thoughts ^^^^^ about two boats was my first when I started to read this thread.

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

A cuddy may also extend the boating season for younger ones. The climate you live in will dictate its usefulness. Tiny ones get a lot of benefit by just getting out of the wind.

My main boat is a canopy launch that gets used up until the ice forms. Sometimes in the spring and fall some of my younger passengers are heading for the space between the foredeck and boiler to get warmer. They are happier and so are their parents.

If you live in the sunny South and don't go out when it is cool then a cuddy may get too hot to be in.

Just some thoughts.

Nack

Recruit

A cuddy may also extend the boating season for younger ones. The climate you live in will dictate its usefulness. Tiny ones get a lot of benefit by just getting out of the wind.

My main boat is a canopy launch that gets used up until the ice forms. Sometimes in the spring and fall some of my younger passengers are heading for the space between the foredeck and boiler to get warmer. They are happier and so are their parents.

If you live in the sunny South and don't go out when it is cool then a cuddy may get too hot to be in.

Just some thoughts.

Ops profile not updated.. We are in NC - and we still see a few boats on the lake on weekends.. and I do think the cuddy would shelter some wind but worry about cooking them in the summer...

PHP:
Or figure on 2 boats, an 18' pontoon or 17' aluminum skiff for the little lakes, plus real boat for the ocean. Used pontoons can be pretty cheap.
2 boats - wife my freak..none to 2 overnight..lol BUT kinda makes sense

Thanks everyone.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

uh....ok....now ill throw a wrench into the whole works and really confuse you.....:D

first of all....welcome to i boats....:)...as you can allerady see ...the guys here are great....really helpful.....

ok here comes the wrench.....:eek:

one thing...your going to have to figure out what you want to do with the boat first.....

ya wanna fish?

did i see young boys???...how young...?
toddlers will need to sleep....(remember ...when their done so are you)

at 8 years old they will want to tube, kneeboard, ski and if adventureous..wakeboard....

will you be going out over night?...(cuddy)

all of these factors will determine the type of bote you get....
if your goung ocean...lots of freeboard...as much as a 21 footer will give you....

and....uh....the ..wife......a new 21 foot cuddie will run you 40k

a used one..... 4 thousand in sc...
a well respected i boater here named country bumpkin just sold his immaculate one for 4000...:eek::D:) (were with ya cb)

....im sure......as a first time boater....as soon as you buy a boat, you will find...i should have got the one with the.......i need more storage...i need more power.....(sorry...its a fact)

once you have boated two seasons and know what you want...then go new...
make sure you take a safe boating course...and allways KNOW the weather

thats enough for now......
again welcome

cheers
oops