75 evinrude overheating

75 gypsy

Recruit
Just bought 1975 Gypsy w/ Evinrude 115 hp, a warning horn went off from the throttle box....any ideas on what the problem can be?? and how to fix it?

First time boat owner

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 75 evinrude overheating

When was the impeller last changed? If you are unsure, or it has been a couple years, it is time. They should definately be changed every 2 to 3 years. Cheap part, but its failure is catastrophic. I would probably change the t stats and poppets while I was at it as well, flushing out the water line.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

1. Replace the water pump; use a whole new kit, not just an impeller;

2. Make sure the water screens at the water intake below the water pump are in good shape and that the circuits are clear;

3. Renovate the parts inside the thermostat housing and the thermostat;

4. Check the water deflectors.

Edit: Purchase a model-specific OMC factory service manual. Go ebay.com and search 260043298936 before it sells.

75 gypsy

Recruit

How can I find instructions on how to do this?

Forgot to put plug in, took boat out of water and let drain, put in plug, then went back into water but bildge pump never came on.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

See edit on my earlier entry. The horn on the 1975 control is strictly an overheat alarm.

When the plug is left out, it is always your brother in law's fault. These rules are strictly enforced.

75 gypsy

Recruit

Boat was sitting for about 3 months. Is this water pump expensive and is it possible that overheating came from gas and oil not being mixed thoroughly? if so, still need to change pump?

thanks for all the help

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I would not risk the engine on that issue. Oil and gas mix quickly on their own. Trailering the boat for a few miles is enough.