L.I. Sound Boat - Lots of Questions

Hennessey

Seaman Apprentice
Seems like a lot of experts here, of which I am not, so I thought I'd get some input.

1) We live on Long Island Sound but also do a fair amount of freshwater fishing.

2) I want to buy a new boat. 16 feet seems optimal from everything I've seen.

3) I'd like to keep it in a slip in the Sound during the summer, but it'll come out a decent amount to do some bass and pike fishing.

4) Most of my Sound fishing is near shore. I also want something relatively light so I can trailer it as necessary by myself.

5) Money isn't a huge issue, but obviously a consideration.

6) I pretty much love the 2008 Lund Rebel (16 footer). I can walk out the door with it, a 50 horse 4 stroke Merc, and a galvanized trailer, for $16,500.

Would this be a smart purchase, considering all the factors listed above?

How about keeping it in saltwater for a good part of the year? Is this a prob with the aluminum?

Marine carpet. Great? Okay? Sucks royally?

sorry for the length, but I'm a noob and could use any and all advice. Thanks!

tommays

Admiral
Re: L.I. Sound Boat - Lots of Questions

16' is really going to limit your ability to use the LI sound on anything but the best of days

It will be way to windy most of the spring

You would have to be pretty careful about leaving in the saltwater and use a paint like Interlux trilux 33 for and ALU boat

Tommays

Tommays

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

If you're actually going into the Sound, that's way too small, I'd say a 21' is the minimum size, with a deep V hull, and preferably a closed bow or self bailing design. Some of the walk around fishing style boats are a good choice, like the Key West 20'. The Sound can change from smooth to nasty pretty fast, and you may find summer mornings it's flat calm, with pretty significant chop by the afternoon. You will have to watch out for other boat traffic too, many large Sportfisherman and cruisers will kick up a huge wake and really bounce a little 16 or 17 fter around.
I don't know much about keeping an aluminum boat in salt, but I think a 'glass boat, esp the newer composite designs, are less trouble.

Hennessey

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

A couple things.

I think I need to clarify "into the sound". By that I mean 90 percent harbors and within half a mile of shore. I'm not running out to middleground, not my style of fishing anyway. We did fine all this year in my buddy's 17 foot whaler. Given, thats fiberglass, but still. I don't plan on taking it out in anything at all rough.

I know I'd do better with a larger boat, but the limitation becomes trailing something like that around & launching it myself. I'm young and this is my first boat, so I'm trying to find something that compromises to fit my needs. I go up to Bantam, Candlewood, and the lakes region of NH a lot too.

thanks very much for the info.

any thoughts on the marine carpet?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Sometimes bays can be rougher than the Sound, there can be more boat wakes concentrated in a smaller area. If you're careful and watch the weather, it can be doable, but all I can say from my experience I would not take a 16-17 foot boat out in Huntington Bay, going in and out of the inlet at Sand City (Eaton's Neck Long Island), you can face 3 footers easy because of the effects of wind, tide and boat wakes. I know what you are saying about trailering, but trailering a 20-22 footer is not that bad, I am hauling my old 20'9" Four Winns with a 6 cyl Jeep Grand Cherokee, not the best tow vehicle, but with some modifications it does OK. I keep the boat on a mooring for the whole season so my trailering is minimized.

And carpet, well it just has no place in a boat, if the boat has plywood cored decks, the carpet just holds moisture, I re-did the deck in mine, no more carpet, just on the gunnels, I had the whole deck gelcoated in non skid, the only way to go.

mattttt25

Commander

17' whaler is going to ride much better than a 16' bass boat.

Weight being a concern, I'd go with an 18-20' center console. Someone mentioned Key West, their 18 footer is an awesome boat.

footunyatz

Recruit

I agree with everybodys advice in regards to investing in a bigger boat. I have fished the sound primarily out east for over twenty years and it can get nasty at times. Being that weight is an issue, i would look into a proline cc or walkaround. There a middle grade boat and are relatively affordable.

akwalker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Since you are familiar with it, why not a Boston Whaler? I know when I grew up on LI in the 70's and 80's, a 17' Montaulk was the boat to have.

rob711

Petty Officer 1st Class

i got my first real boat last year...18ft trophy walkaround...i'm on the sound as well...out of northport..i tow it with a toyota tacoma no problem....its not a problem to launch and retreive alone...i've been out in the rough a few times and it handeled no problem....u cant go fast in the chop but i stayed dry...i have'nt gone to far into the sound yet...i did go from northport to port jeff..about a hour ride...16 seems to small to me...good luck