What should I do?

lmannyr

Master Chief Petty Officer
I started to work on removing all hardware yesterday to prep for paint. I found this after removing the transom wash down hardware.

Of coarse I wasn't happy but can't figure out how much is rotted. I'll take the gimbal off tomorrow and see what how that section looks. Hitting the transom with my knuckle in all places sounds the same except on the side and bottom where I would expect it to sound more solid. I'll post pics after removing the gimbal in the AM.

Should I gut it with this evidence of rot or do further testing?

Attachments

• IMG_4500.jpg
    IMG_4500.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4496.jpg
    IMG_4496.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4505.jpg
    IMG_4505.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 0
D

DJ

Re: What should I do?

It doesn't look that bad.

Get as far as you can until you find dry wood. Go from there.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I would wrap on it with something harder than your knuckle.

Rot is a fungus and will continue to spread until completely removed or killed. Antfreeze kills it. Do a search on antifreeze.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i cant see the wood in the picks.....

but if you suspect rot .........thake a small drill bit....and drill it into the transom from the inside......look at the wood that is on the bit...if its wet...pull it all out..:(

you can fill the test/core holes with 5200.

if you leave it....dry the wood...use the anti freeze trick...and seal the wood...dont leave open ply

best wishes
oops

Last edited:

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

I can see the rot in the pics... and... my vote is to gut it. You could probably use it for another couple of years before doing it though. But, in the end, it will need to be done.