Maximum Number of Trailer Lights

jparker7099

Cadet
I have a kind of a stupid question. I bought a new (to me) boat and trailer over the weekend. It has about 6 double bulb lights down the sides, 2 on the back for stop and turn, and 4 single blub lights across the rear. Is that to much of a load for the wiring? It does look cool at night with the whole trailer almost glowing.

Thanks

woosterken

Lieutenant
Re: Maximum Number of Trailer Lights

I don't think there is a maximum,you can put as many on as you want,or have the power for.
but there is a minimum,two brake/turn/tail one with a license plate lite,and two amber about half way back.
it the trailer is over 80" wide you need three in the center
faceing back like tail lites.

woosterken

TilliamWe

Banned

And as far as I know, at least for commercial trucks, if you have a light on your truck/trailer it has to work. So you can put extras on, but they have to be lit.
That does sound like a lot of lights for the vehicle's wiring to support. If the were LEDs that wouldn't be a problem, though. They don't use as much juice.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

If you really want to eliminate the extra lights, but want to keep the look, you could try reflectors... only problem is someone's headlights would have to be shining on it for it to look the same as it does now in the dark.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The wiring is probably fine.My trailer is lit up like that too and never had a problem.Depending on the tow vehicle and amperage output of the alt.I run a 100 amp alt. and could probably add more lights if i wanted.
Wonder what amp fuse you have on that circuit.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i agree as long as the fuse holds, fine.

D

DJ

I'm sure it's OK.

Remember, lights ahead (forward) of the axle need to be amber.