Shift linkage

gvrinten

Cadet
Hi I posted this question earlier but did not have the correct year listed. I have a 1982 Evinrude 9.9 horse tiller motor. The Model number is E10RCNS I have set the throttle to the "shift" and full stop position but I am unable to move the shift lever from the Forward position. If I fiddle with it and shift while turning the prop back and forth I can get the shift lever unstuck, but after a few shifts back and forth from reverse to forward it jams again. Where is the best place to start investigating the shift linkage problem without dropping the leg.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Shift linkage

does it do this with the motor running also. the shift mechanism in the lower unit is a square tooth 2 tooth gear. when the motor is not running you may have to turn the prop to engage the gears. when motor is running the drive shaft is turning all the time. and the gears engage easier.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Exactly as tashasdaddy said. It sounds like you are trying to shift it wihout it running. If the stopped gears don't happen to line up, you aren't going to get them to mesh. When running, the gears are moving and you catch them on the fly.

gvrinten

Cadet

Thanks Guys.
Running the engine makes no difference. What other suggestions?