'glass question

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys... I am going to glass in some wood blocks under my console this weekend. They will be used to mount speaker boxes to under the consoles. The glass is "rough" finished...I assume it was just shot into the mold with a chopper gun and left that way since it was not going to be seen... Question is, do I need to sand it smooth before glassing to it? If so how smooth should it be??

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 'glass question

Question is, do I need to sand it smooth before glassing to it? If so how smooth should it be??

Ayuh,......

Actually you need to sand it Rough......

You'll want Fresh surfaces, sanded with something like 60/ 80 grit....

Robj

Lieutenant

For a mechanical bond, sand with something like 36 grit. But my question is why do you have to glass it in? Just seal the wood, and use a good polyurethane adhesive such as 3M 5200 to glue the blocks in place.

Have a great day,

Rob.

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would 5200 be able to hold the weight without coming loose? the boat gets bounced about quite a bit, and these are pretty well build speaker boxes (6x9 speakers) that will be suspended by these blocks..

salty87

Commander

5200 will hold, the plys would pull apart first. can you thru bolt?

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

Through-bolting is really not an option that I prefer...due to the design of my consoles the bolts would be very visible due to where I want the boxes to be under the console...

So, you guys agree that I should clean the surface, then liberally apply 5200 to my block of wood, next place the block in my desired location and hold in place with tape or such until the 5200 sets? In this cool weather (40-60 degrees right now here in Georgia, would it be set enough to mount the boxes this weekend? (sat morning?) if put in place tonight?

Robj

Lieutenant

Not sure about your temperature question, but I believe there is a quick cure version of 5200 also. You may want to use that. Do a search on 5200 and take a look at the specs.

Have a great day,

Rob.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

dennis...

not sure if i understand the concept.....

but.....when they spray glass...they add a release agent to the mould....then they spray gellcoat first....then the glass to the gellcoat.......

they build it outside in......

and yes you have to rough it up.

hadraza did a post on a resto proj...with a really cool center console that was also a bass bin.....