? about dual battery switch

blipship

Seaman Apprentice
I have a dual battery switch on the boat I recently baught and noticed the settings offer the option of using either of the batteries individually or setting it to dual. What is the benefit of this other than the obvious of controlling which battery you use? Does this also mean that my batteries are recharging when opporating the boat? Thanks for any help..just a newby trying to learn.

golfer

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: ? about dual battery switch

Hi Blipship,<br /><br />First, you need to make sure that ONLY the starter is hooked up to your starting battery, and that the starting battery is hooked up to switch #1. Second, attach ALL other wiring to the #2 battery, and battery #2 to switch #2. ALWAYS, unless you are to dead and have to use both batteries to start, use ONLY the #1 switch/battery to start the engine. Once started, switch the switch to both, and you will charge both batteries while running. If you are sitting, engine off, only use #2.<br /><br />To answer your question more directly, the benefit is that you can always leave your starting battery alone, and use only to start the boat. And, yes, you do charge both batteries while running when you have the switch on both.

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: ? about dual battery switch

Blipship<br />Main advantage is if starting battery goes bad usually wired to 1 can switch to 2 and start motor. Both batteries will only charge when in both. If you leave the switch in both and have a bad battery or something left on then will run down both batteries. I use a battery isolator to charge both batteries and leave the battery switch in 1 postion unless I have a dead battery.<br />I wire every thing to run boat to battery 1, Starter, bildge blower, bildge pump, running lights, horn, windsheild wiper and compass, Everything else go on battery 2. Do not switch battery with engine running unless you are sure have right type switch or you can blow your alternator. See other posts.<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004737