Tach for 25hp Mariner

Myrtle Beach

Cadet
I have a 1995, 25 hp Mariner electric start O.B. motor and I would like to install a tachometer. I don't know if the motor has a charging system. My fish finder shows a voltage variation of 11.9 to 12.3. I always fully charge the battery before using the motor. I was told that a tach would not work properly on less than 12V. The battery is not new, but in good condition. I fish 6-8 hours a day and never had a problem starting the motor. I'm worried about over reving the motor without a tach. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thank You

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Tach for 25hp Mariner

If you have electric start, then the motor probably has a charging system and you can hook up a tach gauge to it. The shop manual for your motor will show this too. If for some reason you are not able to connect a tach gauge to your charging system, I have heard good things on the use of Tiny-Tach, which can be fitted to a motor without a charging system.

Myrtle Beach

Cadet
Re: Tach for 25hp Mariner

I Appreciate your response to my question about a tachometer for my motor. I wasn't aware a tach would work without a charging system. The Tiny Tach sounds great, I'll check into it.
Thank you.