Best 2-stroke oil for my '83 Johnson 60

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got an old '83 Johnson 2-cyl, 2-stroke. I'd like to know what's the best oil I can use in it that'll prolong the life of my motor. I can't afford a new motor so don't want to take a chance with "cheap" oil. I know it's gotta be NMMA and TW-W3 or something like that. I just finished a bottle of Pennzoil and need more oil so thought I'd ask.
Is the Wal-Mart stuff any good or should I stay away from? I can get Merc oil locally, my Pennzoil stuff...and my local marina sells YamaLube in bulk. I just need to show up with an empty gallon jug and pump it from a 55-gallon drum. A few dollars either way doesn't make a difference to me. I just want to use the oil that'll be best for my tired old motor, give me good performance and more importantly, best engine protection.

What say you all?

bgbass.1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Best 2-stroke oil for my '83 Johnson 60

I been using the penzoil for years and have had no problem.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

As long as it is marked Certified NMMA TC-W3 and bears the NMMA logo, it has been tested and passed the NMMA certification process. Double-talk such as "Meets TC-W3 requirements" does not mean that it is certified. Nor does it mean than that it might not be even better...it just hasn't been tested, passed, and certified. The key is "certified", and bears the NMMA logo.

Having said all that, an oil that does meet those requirements is the same, brand-for-brand, whether you buy it from Wal-Mart or wherever.....assuming it isn't counterfeit of course. And admittedly, Yamaha may have better stuff than the cheap brands. But the formulas are all secret and the only thing we have to go on is the NMMA certification that says they tested it and it passed.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

as F_R said TC-W3 rating. the rest is marketing.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I've got an old '83 Johnson 2-cyl, 2-stroke.

You think that's an "old" motor? My motors are another 20 years older than yours and other members are using even older motors. My point? Choosing between Wal-Mart and Penzoil at this point probably won't make a noticeable difference in the longevity of your motor. Having it mixed properly, making sure the water pump works properly, changing the gear oil regularly and not hitting anything will probably have the most noticeable affect on your motor. Besides, who knows what kind of oil has gone through it before you got it.
Buy some Certified NMMA TC-W3 oil and be confident that you're doing the best you can by maintaining all aspects of your motor. Besides, there's no sense in having the finest oil in your gas if the water pump is only half pumping.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The synthetic blends or full synthetic will smoke much less also..
I use the Pennzoil synthetic blend and it has done well..

Kymasabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey Eveinrude Boater

Hey Eveinrude Boater

Evinrude Boater,

Thanks for the reply. Actually, my old 60 recently had new sparkplugs, had the carbs removed/boiled/cleaned/adjusted, new power pack, new solenoid, new fuel water seperator, new fuel tank, connectors, bulb and line, and new impeller and pump housing. She's running great (finally!), squirtin' water like mad...and I want to keep it that way. I agree...there's no way of knowing what oil went thru it before I got it. I pour a little SeaFoam in the fuel to help slowly clean things up as I run it but am just trying to do the right thing, keep it running a bit longer. I'd be happy to get another 20 years out of her!

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is absolutely untrue that all oils are the same. Meeting a particular standard and exceeding the standard are two entirely different things. I would recommend you use Evinrude Johnson XD50 which is a high performance semi-synthetic 2 stroke oil. It also contains Carb-X. The other oil I like is Yamalube 2M which is also a semi-synthetic oil. If it comes from a 55 gallon drum make sure you look at the drum to make sure it is actually the oil that it is claimed to be. A 55 gallon drum of Yamaha 2 stroke oil should have this part number on it: ACC-Y2MTC-W3-55. The better oils tend to cost more. You usually get what you pay for.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Agreed. I tried to point out that an oil can be better than what it takes to meet the NMMA requirements and pass the test. The problem comes when you try to find a list of ingredients, so to speak. The info is propriatory, so how do you know for a fact that it is actually any better...or can we blindly believe the hype and just be led along? If there is a superior active ingredient in their oil, why won't they tell us exactly what it is so we can research it? It's too much like "doctor reccommended" OTC medicines.

BruceAML

Petty Officer 1st Class

There have been a few tests of the various brands of oil by some magazines. I seem to remember that the Yamalube had a lot more additives than most of the others.