Clueless, Foot removal ((((HELP))))!

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander
Alright I'm mechanically inclined but never had to tackle a foot removal until now. More book smart then hands on on some fields of boat restoration and outboard repair. It normally doesn't take me long to figure something out. My motor is a 1978 Evinrude 85HP, model number is 85890C. I believe this is my first time ever having to post a thread on the Johnson Evinrude Outboard repair forum.

I want to replace the impeller and possibly the seal on the impeller housing depending on how that looks. I can't for the life of me figure out why this foot won't drop off. I am missing something big time here. I looked at the BRP website again, scratching my head now lol, still don't know what I might be missing. I already have the impeller (all $56 worth), and gear lube (which is quicksilver).

How do you go about disconnecting the shift rod, is this what is hold the bloomed thing in place?

Then I found that my trim tab (located above the propeller) is bent and cracked like the previous owner backed into something maybe (like a stump).

How expensive is it to replace the trim tab?

Any other input such as sealant on any part or check this while you got it down advise would be appreciated also. This motor hasn't been ran for a long period of time in several years, I already noticed that bees have made a nest in the exhaust ports. I'm so close to having this boat finished, I only like one other electrical thing to tackle before I have it on the water, and do a shake down test.

Thanks

Wildmaninal

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Clueless, Foot removal ((((HELP))))!

The shift rod disconnect is below the lower carburetor. Follow the shift lever and you will see a small cast aluminum lever on the other end, with a hex head bolt/pin that connects it to the shift rod, moving it up and down as you shift. Remove the pin.

There is a bolt holding the gearcase on, accessed after removing the trim tab. Did you get that one? I suppose you got the big one just forward of the trim tab, right?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I think that you will find that the 1978 model still has the slotted six-sided clevis shift rod screw accessed from the starboard side, under the intake manifold. You have to remove the screw.

Attachments

• 78 Shift Rod Removal.JPG
    78 Shift Rod Removal.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 0

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

The shift rod disconnect is below the lower carburetor. Follow the shift lever and you will see a small cast aluminum lever on the other end, with a hex head bolt/pin that connects it to the shift rod, moving it up and down as you shift. Remove the pin.

There is a bolt holding the gearcase on, accessed after removing the trim tab. Did you get that one? I suppose you got the big one just forward of the trim tab, right?

Yes I got that bolt located near the trim tab, it had the 5/8s head on it, the rest of the bolts were 9/16 and of course 1/2 for the trim tab, but I didn't see anything under the trim tab :confused:. I'll look again,

Ezeke I'll half to look at this closer in the morning, my mornings have been afternoons lately the way I have been staying up late lol. I have a feeling this trim tab price is going to be eat a hole in my wallet. Thanks for the attachment.

D

DJ

There is a bolt hiding under that trim tab. You may need a thin wall socket to get it out.

It helps in removing the shift rod bolt if the engine is in reverse. It makes it a bit easier to get at.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

There is a bolt hiding under that trim tab. You may need a thin wall socket to get it out.

It helps in removing the shift rod bolt if the engine is in reverse. It makes it a bit easier to get at.

DJ sometimes I'm blind in one eye and can't see out the other lol. I moved from helping my father on his truck all day long to working on my boat. I did look up there underneath what is left of the trim tab, but obviously I missed it. I'll getter done tomorrow hopefully, unless I end up ordering a new seal for the impeller housing.

Thanks for the tips and help everybody.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If you replace the gear lube, and you should, make sure that you put in new o rings on the fill & drain plugs.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

If you replace the gear lube, and you should, make sure that you put in new o rings on the fill & drain plugs.

Thanks Good tip, I have orings handy, if I don't have the right size I'll surely buy some to get the job done right. I will be changing the gear lube, there is no telling how long it has been in the LU.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thanks Good tip, I have orings handy, if I don't have the right size I'll surely buy some to get the job done right. I will be changing the gear lube, there is no telling how long it has been in the LU.
NO rubber O-rings! They use nylon washers...
A tip on the shift rod bolt: a quarter inch drive ratchet with a swivel adapter and a stubby socket makes it much more easy to get at..

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

NO rubber O-rings! They use nylon washers...
A tip on the shift rod bolt: a quarter inch drive ratchet with a swivel adapter and a stubby socket makes it much more easy to get at..

Alright I'll see about nylon washers, that would suck to have water intrusion because I used rubber. I'll use the swivel, with a shallow well socket.

Thanks

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Just a few other things to look at while you are down there. Before dropping, I would remove the prop, to keep from damaging it. While it is off, grease the splines of the prop shaft with marine grease, and ensure there is no fishing line wound up around the shaft.

Clean out the intake area, ensuring there is no debris restricting water flow. This is also a good time to clean the exhaust with some Deep Creep etc.... I like to flush out my water line while the lu is down, ensuring no debris is built up in there. Grease the splines of the drive shaft before re installing, but not too much on the top. Also be sure that you do not adjust the shift rod at all while down, if it is adjustable, the tolerances are tight on those. Also be careful when sliding it back up, the water tube has a tendancy to knock the rubber grommet on top of the impeller housing aside, restricting water flow. 2 people is ideal to do this. Stuff to look at, good luck.

This video may or may not help some.

"http://www.meegsonline.com/tmd/waterpump.wmv"

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Alright, I'll look into cleaning and lubing these areas Hightrim, appreciate the input. I'm letting the video buffer as I type, I have dial up :(.

I took the prop off (didn't look bad at all behind it), drained the gear oil (which did have a gold glaze not really a milky gray :confused:). I took pictures to document this lower unit removal and water pump replacement for my website use, description of the process will be my own wording.

There was a bit of corrosion in and around the water pump as well as a huge abandoned wasp nest in the LU. The old impeller was starting to show signs of weather rot and was starting to stiffen up, it was not very flexible surprisingly no ears were broke off. I did not get any thing else done other then a little blowing around with the air hose gun, it started raining and I had to head out of town.

I will need to purchase a new o'ring for the top of the drive shaft and grommet for the top of the impeller housing as well has a impeller housing seal, and nylon washers for the plugs.......Did I miss anything? LOL

What about the flat o'rings inside the water pump housing, should I replace those as well? Of coarse I didn't buy a kit I just bought the impeller.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Next time you'll know the kit is sometimes easier ;)

How do the walls of the impeller housing look? Impeller housing plate? Scored at all?

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

FootRemoval011.jpg

Well so far from what I have seen it doesn't look bad at all. I will make a closer inspection tomorrow if the weather permits.

I don't think the video link is going to play, it said invalid link or something to that affect.

jal

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do not use the quote marks with the link.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Do yourself a favor and get an OEM shop manual. This board is not a substitute for a manual.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Doesn't look too bad.

Still haven't got out to look at it closer, darn rain :(.

Do not use the quote marks with the link.

I know better then to copy the Quotation marks along with the link, I've been doing this for a while, this is the message I get when trying to play the video: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a network error occurred".

Do yourself a favor and get an OEM shop manual. This board is not a substitute for a manual.

Well if I wasn't literally digging into my change jar to get the least little thing that I need to purchase I would take that into consideration especially sense I have already priced them a few months ago Just after I was laid the heck off :mad:. Out of every job that I have applied for none have called me back for an interview, a majority have contacted me by email saying "this position has already been filled." Unemployment compensation is up so what would you do? Using the brp website will half to due for now.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Thats right Wildmaninal! tell them like it is!
We don't mind walking you through things since you don't have a manual..;)
I guess some people have money to burn and just don't get it!!:mad:

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Thats right Wildmaninal! tell them like it is!
We don't mind walking you through things since you don't have a manual..;)
I guess some people have money to burn and just don't get it!!:mad:

I appreciate that Gary. I can't help the fact that I'm down on my luck at the moment. I have had this impeller literally sitting in my bedroom for a while, (you might be a redneck if you have boat parts sitting in your bedroom for months lol).

I made a list of all the parts that I need to replace, along with the part numbers. As long as I don't end up breaking the bank on these next purchases I will have this motor back together soon, with a couple of nice sunny days.