Replacing Gas Gauge

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm fed up with my stupid gas gauge. It does not read correctly and I never really know hgow much gas I have. If I fill up with a full tank it says I have half a tank then when I get on plane it says I have a full tank. Once the boat finally levels off it says I have 3/4 of a tank. Would replacing the gauge help. Also the boat is a 1986 formula 25 PC and since the boat is at the shop for fiberglass work I can not figure out what brand of gauges it has. But are all gauges usually the same.

Thanks, Dan

gnrboyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Replacing Gas Gauge

This may not be worth posting as I'm sure the real experts around here will set you straight but since they are always willing to help me out I thought I'd try it from the other side of the fence for once.​

First of all, my knowledge on this subject is about 20 years old from my days of working in a sporting goods/marine store. At least back then, the sending units in the tanks were the primary reason for guage problems. We used to sell a couple of different universal models as replacements that worked on most any guage. Inside the tank is a sending unit that has an arm with a float on the end. As the level in the tank rises or lowers, the float sends a signal to the guage. Sometimes the floats can go bad causing bad readings. Sometimes the arms are just out of adjustment. And sometimes the pivot arm that sends the signal is bad. The ones we sold were adjustable by either cutting the arm to length or there was a connector that held the arms together similar to the stopper bar on a sink in your house. This allows adjustment for various tank depths and designs.​

Anyway, I would certaintly check the sending unit before looking at the guage itself. If it is 20 years old, it would be the first place I would look. Here is an example of the one I am referring to.​

You may also be able to buy just the float at a marine store if that is your only problem. I think we had them back in the eighties for some models but not sure in today's world if they'll make you buy the whole thing or not.​

Hope this helps.​

baconbiscut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the advice. I just bought the sender unit and will install it when the boat gets back from the shop. If I still am having problems with the gauge after that I'll know what to replace.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The fuel tank in most recreational and fishing boats is the problem because they are generally long, shallow and narrow. About the only time you can get a reliable reading is with the boat on the trailer or tied to the dock. Remember, a fuel gauge sender is a float mechanism that rises and falls depending on the LEVEL of the fuel in the tank, not the volume. To put this in perspective, think of an ice cream cone as a fuel tank. When full, the gauge would read full because the float is at the top. When empty, the gauge would read empty because the float is at the bottom. However, any amount of fuel in between those two limits is impossible for a gauge to accurately measure because the sender is a relatively linear device where the actual fuel volume which determines fuel level varies dramatically between full and empty. When the gauge reads 1/2 for example, there is far less fuel in the bottom half of the tank than there was at the top half because of the shape of the tank. Same with your boat but your fuel tank is actually on its side and very long. It was for this very reason I installed a Navman (now Northstar) fuel flow monitor. You fill the tank, tell the computer how many gallons you have and it will monitor the amount of fuel being burned, the amount remaining, instant fuel flow in gallons/hour, total for the trip and total since reset. These units are dead accurate and available all over the internet for $125 - 175 depending on where you buy.

D

DJ

Silvertip is right. Long/narrow tanks are notorious for giving erroneous readings. It's just nature of the beast.

Fuel senders can be adjusted to help smooth out the ups and downs- somewhat. The last boat I had, with that type of tank, I adjusted (bent) the float arm to give me a more negative (conservative) reading. That way I knew I wouldn't run out. While on plane it may read empty but I really had a good 1/4 left. After a while I just got to know what I had left/used, via experience.

The most accurate guage/tank combos I have ever used were tall deep tanks.

True. A flow meter is the way to go, if you really need accuracy.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Last time I replaced my sender I called the tank manufacturer with the tank model number and bought the sending unit from them for my tank.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I have had good luck with the senders that can be adjusted too.Takes a few trial and error tests but you can get it close.
Still the most accurate reading is with the boat setting still.