The 1,000,000 mile mark on chevy truck

jbjennings

Captain
I heard on the radio on the way to work this morning that some guy was about to hit the million mile rollover on his '91 chevy pickup. Did anybody else hear about it? I personally have 238,000+ on my '98 chevy ext. cab 4x4 pickup and it runs like the day I bought it. It had about 177,000 miles on it when I bought it for 8000bucks off a used car lot. Other, than 2 piece of poop plastic door latches, I have had no problems, knock on wood. On a trip to Michigan to get a pair of bluetick puppies 3 yrs. ago it got 22mpg on the interstate with premium unleaded--tested twice after 2 fill-ups) with about 210,000 miles on it. My wife drives a '97 ford explorer and it has 160,000 miles and runs great. Since we owned it at 60,000 miles it has only needed an idle air control valve for 120bucks (ford part only if you want the air cleaner to fit right). I can't complain.
Any thoughts?
JBJ

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
Re: The 1,000,000 mile mark on chevy truck

Yeah it was on FARK, too.

Chevy will most likely give him a new truck to celebrate, at least that's what Saturn did for a guy who kept his to 1mil. I would be disappointed if Chevy didn't do the same thing.

I've got 212 thou on my Jeep, and spend 2hrs a day 4 times a week commuting in it... so who knows, maybe in another 10-15 years that'll be me... only problem is the Jeep is falling apart already.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

My father's truck is a 91 3/4 ton chevy I believe (maybe it's a 90 model). It had a 305. He bought the truck last year and drove it for a couple of months, started having problems keeping oil in it, didn't even break 200,000 miles. Well the truck set for a few months, even though he bought a brand new motor to put in her, a 350, just didn't have the money to buy the parts needed so he could install the motor. Here my father is still paying on the truck. As of recently we just about have the new motor ready to fire up.

A million miles and Bigmarc was asking about high millage on a truck on this thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=233853 . The owner of that truck really babied it didn't he. Knowing me I wont let my 2006 F150 hit the 50,000 mile mark without trading it in.

Summer Fun

Banned

Frank Oresnik is on the verge of making history driving his old standby ? the pickup truck he says is about to pass the 1 million mile mark.
Oresnik took the 1991 Chevrolet Silverado to the Oil Ex-Change Quick Lube in Medford on Thursday for what he expects will be its last oil change and tuneup before hitting the magic number.
He said the truck is 1,200 miles from a million, and once he hits the mark he will retire the vehicle.
"I feel almost like the longtime NFL player as he goes into his last training camp knowing this is the end," Oresnik said.
He credits proper maintenance and a good measure of luck for allowing the truck to rack up so many miles. He said he's had more than 300 oil changes and tuneups at the Medford business, going in every 3,000 miles.
The truck has had four radiators, three gas tanks, five transmissions and six water pumps, but the engine has never been overhauled, Oresnik said.
He bought the Silverado in June 1996 after the original owner put 41,000 miles on it. Oresnik uses the vehicle to deliver seafood in three states, putting on about 85,000 miles a year.
Did anybody else hear about it?
Yep :)

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Wow. We have an '89 3/4 ton with a 350 and a 5 speed that dad bought new. It is just about at 400,000. It is probably going to get a new 350, and a 6 speed manual in the next year or so. Right now, it has started leaking about a quart of oil a day, when being driven. But, there was a time a couple years back, when it started leaking an insane amount, and we desperately needed a truck, so we had to rent one. For some reason, it stopped leaking majorly. (It has had a small leak for the longest time, usually about a quart a month)

klicknative

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Now you guys know why I drive a Chevy.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

This guy Doesn't actually live in Medford WI, as the story says, he is from Catawba, (population 150) about 40 miles from me.

He credits the trucks high miles to the oil changes, from the Pennz Quick Lube, down the road from me.

The same shop that I will never return to.
They told me I needed new wipers, when the wipers were only 3 days old.
Told me my trans fluid was burnt, without even looking at it. Fact - the transmission was replaced just 3 months earlier and all was fine with it.
Told me my air filter was dirty, when it was only 3 days old.

Last edited:

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

I'm sure I'll get kicked off for this, because I'm sure it'll cause a ruckus....

Suppose he used conventional or synthetic? I'm guessing conventional since he said he changed it every 3k miles (whether or not his wipers needed it, who's to say?:D).

gonefishie

Commander

Did anybody saw the episode when Al Bundy's Dodge was going to turn 1 million? Dodge was going to give him a load of cash and a brand new car if they could film his odometer turning over. On the morning that he was going to the dealer to do the filming. He opened the garage door, the brakes failed, the car rolled backward, and he crashed it when it rolled into the street. That was funny..:D:D

i386

Captain

Now you guys know why I drive a Chevy.

That's a great story and all but give me a break. If I were to CHOOSE a vehicle for the sole purpose of getting 1,000,000 miles it would be folly to choose a Chevy. I'd go with a Mercedes. Nothing against Chevy.

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

That's a great story and all but give me a break. If I were to CHOOSE a vehicle for the sole purpose of getting 1,000,000 miles it would be folly to choose a Chevy. I'd go with a Mercedes. Nothing against Chevy.

I do drive a Chev..... 3 of them to be exact. (Never know when one might fall apart :D)

The brand has little if anything to do with this situation. It's the religious maintenance.

I wouldn't turn this into a brand-bashing deal -- I've learned. The post will be locked before you know what happened.

Besided Mercedes sux. :D

D

DJ

1M is no big deal to a decently maintained truck.

I see it everyday in areas not prone to corrosion (rust).

I also see cars go 1M within five years of new. No biggee.

Hooray! What for?:confused:

Somebody wants a free truck and the media loves it.:rolleyes: Ho-Hum!