OMC Remote Control Part Repair??

mtsumedi

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay, as you can see from the pictures below I have some missing teeth. After doing some research, the part number that is on this actual part (332242) does not exist but the corresponding part number from Johnson/Evinrude is this: 397272. I figure this by eye balling parts diagrams. It's a common piece from the 90s to mid 00s and maybe later.

The problem is that they stopped making the part. This does me absolutely no good whatsoever. I don't want to have to replace the whole control box if I don't have to.

My thoughts are to use some kind of two part sandable epoxy to build these teeth back up. I have seen some pretty impressive stuff done with epoxy so I believe that this can be done.

What do you guys think? What material would you suggest?

DSC02053.jpg

DSC02054.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: OMC Remote Control Part Repair??

i'd suggest buying a used donor control for parts. ebay

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yep, I doubt if epoxy would stick. Looks like there was considerable strain to break the teeth. They don't look worn down. I have tried epoxy on several plastics or nylons with no results. Be sure everything works free before replacing the part. Might try Tim's Outboard salvage. 218 682 2331

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Call Sea-Way in Seattle Washington and give them the original part number. Bet they have a box of them.

Sea Way Marine
2501 Harbor Ave. S.W.
Seattle, Wa. 98116
800-332-0803
206-937-1787 FAX
sea-way. com

If that does not get it for you, go to the following BRP/Evinrude link and try some others by paging down to the list:

"http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/About.Us/FAQ/Older.Vintage.Products.htm"

mtsumedi

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looky at what I found in the local marine bone yard!! $25

Attachments

• boat.JPG
    boat.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 2