ignition anilizer

4.0l sahara

Petty Officer 1st Class
I got the service manual for my 2002 150hp johnson. I was reading about the linkage syncronization. I see you need a ignition anilizer. What if you don't have that. Do I need to get one?

thanks.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: ignition anilizer

It'd be nice but not the end of the world if you don't have one. You'll just have to set the timing the "old fashioned way".

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

The analyser will make it very easy. Using a timing light can be tricky. That engine uses an optical eye to trigger the spark for each cylinder. this eye is located under the timing wheel. Using a timing light can wreak havoc on the eye and cause the engine to run very erractic making timing almost impossible. If you read the manual, even running the engine in bright sunlight with the hood and top cover off can affect that eye. I have had this happen to me.

Get the right tools to do the job.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

You can buy the factory tool from any dealer or buy the CDI Electronics version from any marine professional, boat shop, or supply store.

Either way it is a one use specialized tool and costs hundreds of dollars.

The sensor it tests only costs about $70 and the only other thing the tool does is to set the high speed timing, which can be done CAREFULLY with a timing light.