Optimax - 175 2007 model - good value at half RRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottfromoz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all. I am looking at a bit more power on my 21 footer than my 115 Yammy. I like the reliability of my 93 motor with 200:1 at idle so its pretty good on oil - no pesky crank angle sensors, air flow meters etc etc. However if I have to go for another motor I am sorely tempted to a modern cleaner one.

Can people please give me some feedback about the Optimax which me mechanic (trusted - Merc dealer) says has now been around since 96 and is a good motor. He reckons I can have one that a pro fisherman took off a few weeks ago (turns them over each year - tax deduction) for half RRC - 07 model.

The last thing I want is pesky problems with software, computer sensors etc...anyone with any long term ownership or service people who can help me?

I posted this on the Merc board aswell, but would like a good cross-section. The motor has 1400 hours on it, but my dealer reckons he pulled down one that he sold years ago to a mate of his that rolled on the bar and got full of water. It still had the hone marks in the bore and looked like new throughout. He reckons that the fisherman doesnt flush with fresh, but then again it ran each day and the inside of the Mercs are good these days with corrosion resistance.

Cheers

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Optimax - 175 2007 model - good value at half RRC

Sorry, Scott. Duplicate posts confuse helpers who answer at one place and then find it again somewhere else.

The Merc Forum is the right place for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.