Boating tunes

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, Spring is around the corner so it's about time to start the boating season again. Aside from the obvious Jimmy Buffett and Bob Marley, what are some of your favorite boating tunes while you are anchored off enjoying an ice cold beverage? My new favorite is Dave Matthews Band Live at Piedmont Park (I was at that concert and it was amazing!). What about you?

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boating tunes

I dont think I've ever used my radio except when working on the boat at home. I enjoy just listening to the outdoors and other boaters. I hear enough music on my way to and from work in the car.

I like the old sea shantys. My favorite is "SAIL AWAY LADIES,SAIL AWAY' check it out and let me know what you think.

jmills224

Cadet

Sublime, 311, Jack Johnson, and Silversun Pickups are some of my favorite boat music.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with mkos for the most part... but there is the rare occasion that I'm in a mood to just rock out...

I have recently been listening to that new santana song... Into The Night... that's a pretty good tune. Hate most the rest of his stuff, but that one's alright.

Can't go without a bit o' Skynyrd too... and Nickelback... they've got a lot of good stuff now.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I don't listen underway but having the radio/CD on while fishing or at anchor is ok. My musical tastes vary widely so I don't have anything in particular that I want to hear on a regular basis - lets just say, "Whatever hits my mood at the moment," My most recent "discovery" is an Austin,Tx based guitar player by the name of Monte Montgomery

Pimp Daddy

Cadet

101.3 FM outta Sault Michigan, old rock, new rock just good tunes to relax and enjoy. Course nothin wrong with turnin the radio off n just listenin to the birds and such.

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

2GB Ipod filled with everything from Buddy Rich to Beastie boys, to Poison to The Eagles to Snoop to Bach. Basically NO country. Everything else is fair game.

dvan1901

Chief Petty Officer

MKos, I hear what you are saying. A lot of times we don't turn on our radio/iPod because there is usually someone with their tunes cranked up. Unfortunately, it's usually country (not a country fan). On our iPod we have everything from Jack Johnson, John Mayer, Prince (wife's favorite), Dave Matthews and Pearl Jam.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I listen to The Cranberries, Alanis Morrisette, Tchavisky and maybe some Rennasiance, if I am in the mood. Maybe some Pretenders....

But that's just me, I could be wrong!

Expidia

Commander

I tried all various tune choices last year. Bought a new stereo that was Ipod and Sirius ready.

Tried over the air, but in the mountains service is spotty and I hate hearing "any" static or haiving to searching for another song every 5 minutes and hearing annoying commercials.

Tried bringing CD's but they skip while underway. Also easily scratch and I get tired of hearing same songs.

Used the Ipod, but same thing as Cd's without the skipping. Played very clear though.

Finally threw the towel in and got Sirius. Not by adding a unit on to my Sirius ready stereo though. I picked up a Starmate at Pep Boys on sale for $32 so I could use this same small portable unit in car, boat, home, office or rental car.

Came with the car kit where I use it most of the time anyway. All you have to add on is another antenna for the boat ($10-$20 Ebay) and you can use the unit in both places.

Note: if you do get one someday buy off Amazon the direct FM adapter accessory for $17. No static with this direct connect antenna adapter because it automatically shuts off the car or boat's antenna that is the cause of any hissing or popping.

For $12.95 a month ($3.23 a week, 1 less beer a week) you can now just hit the button get 24 hour news, Comedy, Stern or whatever Music your mood is that day!

When you hear an artist you like you can hit memory and save their songs. The system alerts you too if another song by this artist comes on. One can also rewind and play songs over and over if you want too.

60's, 70's etc, Romance, Rock, Blues, Soul, Sports or "whatever" hits you today! Unit has "30" preset buttons too.

For 46 cents a day entertainment wise it's a bargain for both car and boat. I fought signing up for years, cause I hate paying for stuff like water, TV and air too, but I also hate more having to listen to commercials and bad music or fiddling around with buttons finding over the air stations, CD's and Ipods etc.

There is no contract to sign. If you don't like it after a few months just cancel, the only thing you lose is a small sign up fee. Just sell the radio to someone else.

Long answer, but I now actually look forward to getting in my car for the drive to work and it's only a 7 minute drive for me! Can't wait to drive to Florida for a vacation, since I usually drive all night and make that run straight through and then my Wife takes over in the am while I sleep for a few hours.

She loves music and loves this Sirius setup!

So what songs do I like now? "Whatever I feel like" for the mood I'm in on a particular day!

All the above comments also hold true for XM radio too! Except Sirius has for free two Stern channels and the Playboy channel. Did I mention the Playboy channel :D

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

Love to hear the reel sing when you have on a nice salmon or albacore.

Nandy

Commander

2GB Ipod filled with everything from Buddy Rich to Beastie boys, to Poison to The Eagles to Snoop to Bach. Basically NO country. Everything else is fair game.

Im the other way around, country music all the way...

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

Dont see spring really that close! but i dont mind it though cause my boat is not done really yet!!! I got to get to work on it a lot though to get done by early summer! Ill never be done by spring!!!!

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

thats why i wont really waste time using the tie-downs. You really take a chance of the lake being gone if you waste that time playing around with the tie-downs. Might as well not even have a boat if the lake is gone again! Got to wait til next year for the lake to come back. Well in the meantime whyle you are waiting on the lake you can always just play around with your tie-downs. It gets booring after a whyle though playing around with those tie downs. Last year i left my tie-downs in the house so i could play around with them in the house and at nite and what not. Its cool i made a drinking game out of it with a couple of my buddies. We get 4 tie-downs and a 30 pack of beer and 2 solar powered lights and drink beer til the lake comes back.

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sorry Drewmitch Your last post has me confused. Where would the lake go and what are the tiedowns you are refering to?

I don't have a stereo in our boat but I have considered the sattelite radio option. What about a stereo that will stand up to the moisture?

Last edited:

orion25

Petty Officer 1st Class

thats why i wont really waste time using the tie-downs. You really take a chance of the lake being gone if you waste that time playing around with the tie-downs. Might as well not even have a boat if the lake is gone again! Got to wait til next year for the lake to come back. Well in the meantime whyle you are waiting on the lake you can always just play around with your tie-downs. It gets booring after a whyle though playing around with those tie downs. Last year i left my tie-downs in the house so i could play around with them in the house and at nite and what not. Its cool i made a drinking game out of it with a couple of my buddies. We get 4 tie-downs and a 30 pack of beer and 2 solar powered lights and drink beer til the lake comes back.

????

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ok lets get this one back on track...good thread....

my girl and i listen to the night when were on the bote.....

however last summer..we did have the mood on to crank the tunes....

styx...sail away.....at the end of the song we were at full singing volume and playing air gituar......pricless...:D

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

"Travelin' Man" by Ricky Nelson from iPod via MP3 jack.

"And in every port I owned the heart of at least one lovely girl!":D