How/what I need to install trim gauge

wetley49

Recruit
I just bought a boat with a 2000 Johnson Oceanrunner 150hp. I want a tilt/trim guage and need to know what parts I need. I've found a guage with sender but I'm not sure on where the sender connects Where/what do I look for?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How/what I need to install trim gauge

You've got a large one already, just turn your head around and look at the motor. You trim a motor by boat attitude, not by some pointer on a gauge. It will change with wave and wind conditions. It's a dynamic adjustment, always changing.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The only time a trim gauge is of any use is when you can't see the engine. If you insist on a trim gauge, you need the gauge and the engine needs a trim sender. Some engines already have one. If it has one, the wires to front of the boat are probably already. Even then, what do you expect the gauge to tell you? As Don said, the gauge merely tells you what the engine attitude is. What's perfect with one person is not perfect with two or three aboard. What's great when the water is glass smooth is not so good when the surf is up. Spend the money on a water pressure or temp gauge and have something useful to look at.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Whetley, I took out my trim gauge and installed a water pressure gauge in it's place. it is a lot more useful IMHO.

if you want to install the trim gauge, check to see if you have the sender. Tilt up the motor and look for a black plastic arm on the port (left) side of the motor's clamp bracket. if you find one, look under the dashboard for three wires together, purple, black and another color which escapes me now. The purple and black wires will be probably be powering your tach, gas gauge and the other instruments. The third wire is the trim sender wire.

wetley49

Recruit

Wow. Thanks for the help, guys. I never knew I could turn around and look at the motor. That would be useful had I not had surgery on my neck and in turn have to twist my body around just to look behind me. I"ve got quite a bit experience running a boat. I know conditions change. Nothing is ever ideal. I have a temp sensor and water pressure gauge. I've never had a boat without a trim gauge. It's something I'm used to seeing. I just needed some direction as to where to start and not some sarcastic answer. Thanks for the help.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just needed some direction as to where to start and not some sarcastic answer.

I don't think anyone was trying to be sarcastic, just perhaps a bit humorous. People on this site are genuinely trying to help and provide good advice based upon their experience. They were trying to save you some time and money by not installing what is generally considered a useless item for an outboard.

I removed the trim guage on my boat to make room for adding a pressure gauge. I also found the trim gauge to be near useless. I use a rear view mirror (attached to the windshield with a suction cup) to glance at the motor from time to time without needing to turn my head around.