Loosening up a seized trim tilt on 48SPL 1989

george3405

Seaman
You all have helped me so much over the last year! I had a hard time getting my '89 48SPL running, but a few months ago it started, but wouldn't stay running. I believe it was bad gas. Went back a week later and it wouldn't start because it had no ignition again (after new coil, powerpack, etc.) Oh well that's boats for you. Anyway, to add insult to injury the manual tilt froze up on it with the foot in the down position. Now I can't move the boat/trailer. I see a cylinder, but can't see how to get to it as it is covered by the stern transom of the boat. The release handle and cable seem to be operating. It seems as though the ram has corroded up in the cylinder. Any ideas how to free up this manual tilt?

Thanks again,
George3405

george3405

Seaman
Re: Loosening up a seized trim tilt on 48SPL 1989

The problem is that it faces the transom and there is no real way to get to it to spray PB Blaster on it. Do I have to remove the engine from the transom?
Thanks,
George3405

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

It seems as though the ram has corroded up in the cylinder. Any ideas how to free up this manual tilt?

George3405

Have you released the manual tilt screw on the R side. There is a screw there that will release hydralic pressuer in the ram and allow manual lifting and lowering of the engine.
Opps... I reread the description of the post and you state it is manual lift, but you mention a cylinder being visible. I do not recall a manual lift engine with a cylinder?

Guess my stay at Holiday Inn didn't work. LOL

george3405

Seaman

There is a lever which operates a cable to release the tilt. This cable appears to be working (from looking at it), but the tilt doesn't tilt (it is a manual one). I can't see it well and thought it a cylinder, but whatever the cable goes into seems seized. The steering was seized likewise and I think the steering cable broke. Lots of fun, huh? Anyway if anyone knows how the manual tilt works I sure would like to know what needs to be done to free it up. I can't even move the boat 'cause the foot is down.

Thanks again,
George3405

MarkV_Deep6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds more like the tilt tube.... If this is the case then you need to start by getting some lubricant of some kind in to the tilt tube. I'm not familiar with your engine, mine has zerk fittings for this area. They are reachable from the front of the engine inside the boat.

If this is caused by the tilt tube being rusted this badly your just going to have to get some break free or some other lubricant in there and work it.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

It isn't in gear is it?

george3405

Seaman

It looks to be in neutral. There are zert fittings on the tube mentioned. I had greased them recently. Do I just shove the tube from the PB Blaster in there and keep shooting til it gets thruogh the grease? Would starting the engine and warming it up help loosen the tilt/trim?
Thanks,
George3405

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You seem to have the Touch Trim trim system. The lever and cable form the release mechanism. There is no release screw per se.

The lever is connected by adjustable cable to a valve that opens to allow the motor to be raised and lowered and closes to lock the motor in any position.

You are almost certainly locked. Follow the cable to the hydraulic cylinder and see if it can be freed. The cylinder is under great pressure so be careful.

If someone has the text of Service Bulletin #2244, it would help George3405 a lot.

Attachments

• touch trim cable.JPG
    touch trim cable.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 2