oops

Bondo

Staff member
Re: master bath

Ayuh,...... Beautiful Work,.......

But,......
Before JB Jumps you about it,.....

It's the Master Head,......
As there aren't any Bathrooms on a Boat............................;)

Capt. Mike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

pacemaker
I'm not sure of the size somewhere between a 60 - 63 foot

You are right, most boaters refer to a toilet as a head and if I was on a old ship 100 years ago I would to. But mine is more then a open bucket on the bow, It is more like a bathroom in a house.

On early sailing ships, the crew used the vessel's sharp prow, which was known as the beak head, as an open-air latrine. The latrine was named for its location - an appellation that still survives, even though the head came in from the cold more than a century ago.
http://www.holidaysallover.com.au/travel_about_aus/articles/marine_toilet_head.html

Because we all need to access a toilet now and then, most boats have a head on board. The story of why they're called "heads" goes this way: Small enclosures, shaped much like the outhouses of old, were placed far forward on one or both sides of the bow. In order to use the toilet, a crewmember had to proceed to the bow or head of the boat, hence the name.
http://powerboat.about.com/cs/repairsservice/a/marine_head.htm

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Interesting reading, did 23 years in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club, and the head is the head, refer to it as a toilet and see if some ole salty sailor does not correct you quickly.

Now that the origen of the term "head" is settled how did the term "scuttlebutt" come about for the water fountain?

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

probably because people stand around the cooler, and share the rumors, and lies.

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Yes I heard that also, and the fact that if you got caught standing around the water cooler you were told in no uncertain terms to scuttle your butt back to work post haste.

Capt. Mike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I know post people refer to the bathroom as the head. Except on a lot of new boats, and most people that have been around boats know what a head is. But witch is the head the bathroom or the toilet???? lol it is just easer to call it a bathroom and toilet. some can still call it the head and head or head room and the head thing I will call it the bathroom and toilet. ether I don't care what people call them

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

That is so true Capt. Mike, sailor Lingo can raise some eyebrows in a crowd that does not know the language.

When I first joined the canoe club I thought they called it the head cause everyone was always bumping their heads on the overhead pipes.

Call it anything you like, it is only important that you and your guests enjoy.

Capt. Mike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

true but, but when I pull into a marina you should see the people who come running and want to see the boat, everywhere I go. Sometimes I hate to leave the boat. I was at two foot for the first time this past summer and got in the water and turned around and looked and two girls were going up my ladder I got back on my boat and and it was miss Georgia and her friend in nashville who she comes to see every other weekend, WELL you can't kick her off your boat. Truth is I have to lock the boat if I am going to be away from it when I am out.

http://web.mac.com/tanyard/Site_6/two_foot.html#0

If I say very much people feel like your a bragger,

well how do you like the new bath room I add new things to the my web site al the time I will try to do so to day or tonight.

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander

probably because people stand around the cooler, and share the rumors, and lies.

Doesn't scuttlebutt also refer directly to gossip? Seems like I recall that term being used to describe gossip back when I was in the corps... as in "have you heard the latest scuttlebutt?"

wavrider

Chief Petty Officer

Yes scuttlebutt is a term used for rumour control. Usually discussed where different members of the crew meet at the water fountian and exchange rumours or scuttlebutt.