25 charging system help

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 72 evenrude 25 electric that had the plug in and internal wires just inside the cover fried in a fire. I have converted it to a tiller motor with pushbutton electric start that works great. Can anyone tell me which wires (what color) to hook to battery red wire to gharge battery? Previous owner believed charging system to be working.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 25 charging system help

the regular cables charge the battery. no need for something else. but it only maintains the starting battery.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you are asking which wire to hook to the battery cable at the solenoid, it is the red wire from the rectifier. There should be two (or three) yellow wires and a red one.

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sinse I have done away with the key start egnition switch, is the red wire all I need to worry about with the push button start in the cowl?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Oops, hold on here, let's back up. The 1972 25hp Evinrude did not have battery charging capability. Sorry about the previous reply. Are you sure of the year?

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not for sure, thought 72/73. Could be later. I am in Co and motor is in OK. Didn't get any paper work as it was salvaged from a fire. Was on a boat just in back of a shop that burned to the ground. Toasted parts have been replaced and appearance updated. Runs good as a tiller but have not checked into charging or no charging. It was set up remote key start but controls burned as well as the boat.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If it is a '72, the coils are under the flywheel and there is no more room under there for an alternator stator.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If the motor is indeed a '72, it won't have charging, as Frank pointed out. That said, don't worry about it. A good battery, fully charged, will last you a long time for starting (weeks to months depending on how much you use it). If you really want some sort of charging capability to keep it topped off for any accessories or lights, get one of those solar chargers. They're relatively cheap, lightweight, and easy to hook up...
- Scott

F_R

Supreme Mariner

I believe you will find that your 1975 has a different magneto than the 1972 under discussion. You should also have the spark coils mounted externally. There is a "driver" coil under the flywheel, plus the generator coil.

The 1972 has no externally mounted coils, so there is no room under the flywheel for a generator.

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the info. Like I said, I am in CO and motor is in OK. This will help me sort it out when I go to the lake.