Best/cheapest cleaning solvents

QC

Supreme Mariner
I am sanding down mostly epoxy layers (some wood) and then cleaning those before applying either more epoxy, epoxy filler or eventually paint. What are the best/cheapest solvents or cleaners to use between layers, application etc.? I have been using mostly vinegar so far, but I have only been dealing with the bilge. Got that from work I had done on an aluminum boat and I have no idea if I am making things worse or better. I Just tried some turpentine for the heck of it and that seemed to work real well. I also have a gallon of Xylene that I am using for thinning single part epoxy paints. I understand that I can simply use whatever the manufacturers recommend with a cool in-house brand name. My suspicions are that these are generally off the shelf type compounds just repackaged by them.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Scoldings? :eek: :)

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Best/cheapest cleaning solvents

a light muriatic acid / water solution will clean just about anything.....but have lots of fresh running water near by...and use every peice of safety gear you have

also

acetone is fantastic

cheers
oops

Grits

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like acetone; however, strong soap and hot water work well especially for grease. I would be careful using water on bare wood. If you do, make sure it is dry before you coat it with anything. Alcohol works good on some things also. Paint thinner, kerosene, turpentine have their place but the will leave some oil on the surface. Acetone and alcohol do not.

I have found trying a few different solvents on each application to find out what works best.

This may sound strange, but hot water and Simple Green works great on gun parts. I am not alone in this process. I find it is far better that a lot of expensive solvents with a flashy name. If the parts are too large to go down the drain, I have put them in the dishwasher. I do not do this because it is cheaper but better.

The best, cheapest, and almost unreplaceable cleaner, I know of, is elbow grease! It is also the most difficult to use.

Grits

Last edited:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Mexicans have a saying, it is Bueno, Bonito, Barato. If I have it right it is Good, Pretty and Cheap . . . That's what I want with pretty much everything. Good and Pretty coming first. . .

oops!

Supreme Mariner

qc the only mexican i know is ....

corona por favor :D:D:D

Grits

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I cannot write the Spanish I know in mixed company.

Grits