champion J6C in lieu of J6J??

crappiejig

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just wondering,my 1963 10hp owners manual suggests J4J plugs,I am running the hotter J6J plugs now,but can only find these mail order.Anyone know if I can use locally available Champion J6C plugs??? Thanks (johnson qd-24)

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: champion J6C in lieu of J6J??

J6C is the currently available replacement for the J6J. In addition to the copper hype ("C"), the side electrode extends all the way across the center electrode. On the "J" it only extends half way across. The "J" idea being that it is less likely to gap bridge foul and also it takes less spark voltage to jump to the sharp edge on the end of the electrode. You can file the electrode on a J6C if it bothers you.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think you will get better performance from the J4C plugs, gapped at .030", jig. That is what OMC called for. If you are worried about fouling plugs when trolling, open the gap to .040"

crappiejig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the information.Very interesting info on the side electrode.I will pick up a pair of each and see which suits my engine best.Thanks to the both of you for helping us all out!