broken exhaust bolt

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer
Question, I have this 5 hp briggs and stratton engine on a go kart, the engine has no muffler and one of the bolts is broken flush on the block, how to I get and " easy out " on the bolt to get it out? how do you determine the right size? Thanks for any input!

i386

Captain
Re: broken exhaust bolt

Good luck with that being that it's an exhaust bolt. You won't likely be able to get it out with an ez out either as it is likely seized. I would soak it repeatedly for about a week with PB Blaster and tap on it lightly every day when I reapplied. My strategy with using ez outs is to use the largest one I can get without destroying the threads. I have about a 60% success rate with them. I'd say much less than that with a seized exhaust/head bolt. If you manage to get it out, use anti-sieze compound on the new bolt and don't over torque.

You may be looking at drilling and re-tapping for a helicoil or similar thread repair product. I've had good success with those but they're not for every situation.

My $.02

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the quick reply, The exhaust port also has a large thread for a pipe or muffler right in center of the two bolts, may just better making a muffler out of a straight pipe with adapters! would this be ok to do and not use the two bolts that how the old muffler in place! what do you think?

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We have alot of Briggs motor on equipment on our farm, air compressers, sprayers, ect. I have gotten those bolts out when they broke off before, I took alot of patience and penitrating oil. Normally I just use the pipe theads that are in the port and put on a screw in replacement muffler. The screw in mufflers aren't as quiet but for most applications they are sufficient.
Goodluck,
Brian

Bondo

Staff member

The exhaust port also has a large thread for a pipe

Ayuh,....

Use that with 3/4" Pipe,+ you'll be Good to Go.......

MikDee

Banned

5hp motor, usually 3/4" I.P.S. (iron pipe size), standard pipe thread, use black, or galvanized, pipe, and , or, a standad screw on small engine muffler. The larger size motors usually use larger 1" I.P.S. pipe. Good Luck

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Most of the screw ons will also have a star nut you tighten down against the block.

These can be a pain sometimes. You need to drill it out without going into the threads first. Using PB blaster to soak it and once you start to get it loose (use an easyout) often heat applied to the metal area AROUND the broken bolt will cause expansion and alow a much easier removal.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

We have alot of Briggs motor on equipment on our farm, air compressers, sprayers, ect. I have gotten those bolts out when they broke off before, I took alot of patience and penitrating oil. Normally I just use the pipe theads that are in the port and put on a screw in replacement muffler. The screw in mufflers aren't as quiet but for most applications they are sufficient.
Goodluck,
Brian
Yup! thats what I would do. In rare cases I have welded a flange in a 2" pipe nipple with holes drilled to match original muff. But that was on bigger engines for lawn tractors & such.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You can get creative and route the exhaust by using iron pipe but.... REMEMBER it is hot and I will tell you up front that you will end up touching it if you route it away too far. At least with the pipe you can move it a few inches which also quiets it a bit.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Forget the bolt..go with what Bondo and SBN said...its all I ever done (one on a minibike, one on the generator, one a 5hp I have thats looking for something to push now)

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replys, I am going with the threaded pipe and mount a muffler off of it, hey maybe put a "tee' off the pipe and use two mufflers. like a dual exhaust!

Kenneth Brown

Captain

Thanks for the replys, I am going with the threaded pipe and mount a muffler off of it, hey maybe put a "tee' off the pipe and use two mufflers. like a dual exhaust!
Yep, I done that to most of my carts when I was a kid. We would point them 45% down and it would help with sound too.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Allot of good advice here. I personally have used the threaded port hole and screwed a muffler up in it, but I personally haven't had any luck with the last motor I have done this to. The muffler came loose every time I used the lawn mower. The threads do get boogered up on the exhaust port unfortunately and can be a head ake to try and keep a replacement muffler tightened down in it.

I would use a reverse drill bit on the broken bolt to see if it would entice the bolt to come out. I haven't used the procedure myself but I have heard of people doing this and being pretty satisfied with its outcome.

cbear34

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you try to remove the bolt, heat would be best to make it easier.
Otherwise with the pipe make sure you use the lock nut. Engine rattle might loosen it up.
Good Luck!:)

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer

Got a lot of good ideas, the idea of angle down the muffler sounds good too, still going try with pipe figure it will not freeze up in there, just bought it for my kids, it says 5 HP Briggs and Stratton industrail commerical engine cast iron sleeve. Thinking this cart was not home made paid $ 150 for it! This looks like a really good engine!

dolluper

Captain

I must be old school since I would just centre punch the bolt and start with a small drill bit and increase sizes slowly till you get to almost the bolt size then carefully chisel out the remander of the bolt ,tap it and install a new bolt with never seize on it,Put the orginal muffler back on as it was engineered that way ,but if your customizing changing everything carb jets,header then the world is open

Johnson110

Chief Petty Officer

Well what I did was put a 3/4 galvanized nipple with an elbow, put a muffler that said it was for a 5hp briggs motor and fired it up works go so far, took it for a spin works good, just have to get a gasket for the cap on the gas tank it leaks out the cap it has a lot of vibration, is it possible to put some kind of rubber gromments underneath the engine mount?

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

is it possible to put some kind of rubber gromments underneath the engine mount?

It is possible but then if your are running a pulley and belt system then it might throw the alignment off, by grommets raising the motor up to high. In other words the pulley on the motor will not sit level with the clutch pulley and transmission pulley. We have a wood splitter out back that has rubber grommets between the motor and the mount plate, 1 for each bolt.

Hoss the Hermit

Chief Petty Officer

Well what I did was put a 3/4 galvanized nipple with an elbow, put a muffler that said it was for a 5hp briggs motor and fired it up works go so far, took it for a spin works good, just have to get a gasket for the cap on the gas tank it leaks out the cap it has a lot of vibration, is it possible to put some kind of rubber gromments underneath the engine mount?
Get gasket cork material at hardware store, cut to fit