ShipSim 2006 by VStep

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been looking for a new game to tinker with. I'm a fan of simulators. MS Train Simulator is fun. Real trains and real routes... And WWII flight sims are great. But while hunting through the budget bin at Future Shop I came across Ship Simulator 2006 by VStep.

From the Website:
Ship Simulator is a revolutionary simulation game that puts players at the helm of some of the most varied and detailed ships to be found at sea. Players will need to perform a multitude of tasks, all set within a stunning 3D environment, taking control of a wide array of ship types – from massive cargo ships and ferries, to speedboats, yachts, water taxis and even the mighty Titanic.

Here's a picture of my ship in the first scenario:
ShipSim2006_2008-01-27_10-28-35.jpg

Some features of the game from the website:
* Dynamic ocean waves, with realistic ship motions
* Long distance travels , open ocean voyages between ports
* Visible damage system
* Thirty new complex and challenging missions
* Extensive day, night, and weather systems
* Three new environments: San Francisco, Southampton/Cowes/Solent, and Marseille
* Sixteen new ships, each with walkthrough functionality and interactive bridge controls
* Controllable container crane
* Advanced vector graphic sea chart based on realistic 3D seabed models, with full-screen display option, transparency setting, and level-of-detail on text & depth readings
* Advanced damage system showing dents and holes in the ships after severe collisions
* Free-roam mode where players can choose a ship, an environment, set all weather, day & time parameters and get sailing
* Realistic bow splash water, with support from an advanced physics simulation model
* Extensive mapping options for keys and joystick buttons
* Advanced rope system, which allows you to connect and disconnect player ships to other ships or mooring boulders at will (anchoring is now also possible)
* Addition of icebergs which cause damage when you collide with them
* Mid-mission save function
* A system for sinking ships when damaged below the water line
* Advanced system for scoring and ranking in different ship type classes, linked to your on-line profile on the forum
* Set waypoints yourself in free-roaming mode
* Mission editor, so you can create your own adventures and share them with your fellow players on the forum

Another picture from the first mission:
ShipSim2006_2008-01-27_10-28-09.jpg

Bringing her about hard:
ShipSim2006_2008-01-27_10-31-00.jpg

The website is http://www.shipsim.com/home.php[/ur...ffects to full and it's absolutely beautiful!

Last edited by a moderator:

angus63

Captain
Re: ShipSim 2006 by VStep

Searched online for ship simulators without success for anything I was interested in. This one looks right up my alley!!!! I was a Merchant Marine officer and have an itch for piloting. I'll give it a shot. thanks

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I will say it is difficult and you do need to know a bitabout chart navigation etc. I've gotten past the first level which is to pilot the harbour patrol across a port and back through 4 buoys but the second one is to move vargo around a port and I can get to the 3rd buoy but mooring is difficult wen it's a huge container ship :) I am sure eventually I will get it right but I am racking up damage costs at record pace. I've even accidentally sunk a pleasure craft.

Well.. he ran into the side of me in a turning circle.... So I guess he had it coming. It only did about 100,000$ damage to me. He actually went down.

lol.

Shipping is fun. But I'll stick with my 14'.

2008 looks interesting so I may get that one as well. I'm still looking for a decent fishing game and a good speed boat racing game as well.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Dude if the 2006 version had that many features to it could you picture what the 2008 version will be like. I haven't played any games in a while, although I got all the Nintendo games systems from old to gamecube, don't know if I'll ever get a Wii. I have a few games for the computer a few per each Nintendo system and they are all collecting dust. I have a few old games on my website, but I haven't touched them in a while either.

I use to have a killer bass fishing game for computer back years ago, I can't remember what the name of it was. I can just picture what the graphics for these games now a days are like.

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class

When the N64 came out with Zelda: Ocarina of time you could fish at one part of it. I made sure to stay at that part for 2 weeks fishing that hole :)

The last good fishing game I had for the computer was called "Trophy Bass 2" and it was made by Sierra. I boot around the lake fishing for whatever I could catch... it was a lot of fun. I imagine a good fishing game now you get wet when you bring the fish in the boat :)

I'm definitely getting 2008 ShipSim. I downloaded a scenario someone else made and installed it and I had to pilot a 40' pleasure craft down the East Coast. Lots of fun. I left through New York. Very nice scenery. With the graphic levels all on high the picture is beautiful.

bekosh

Lieutenant

Dang! That's cool! I downloaded the 2008 demo and played for about 2 hours last night. I'll have to pick up a copy to play with.

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

When the N64 came out with Zelda: Ocarina of time you could fish at one part of it. I made sure to stay at that part for 2 weeks fishing that hole :)

The last good fishing game I had for the computer was called "Trophy Bass 2" and it was made by Sierra. I boot around the lake fishing for whatever I could catch... it was a lot of fun. I imagine a good fishing game now you get wet when you bring the fish in the boat :)

I'm definitely getting 2008 ShipSim. I downloaded a scenario someone else made and installed it and I had to pilot a 40' pleasure craft down the East Coast. Lots of fun. I left through New York. Very nice scenery. With the graphic levels all on high the picture is beautiful.

Dude I have Zelda Ocarina of time somewhere. I believe that trophy bass 2 was the bass fishing game that I use to have, it is an older game but for its time it was cool. You could here the line ping as you reeled in a heavy fish.