Steering

tgpfloat

Seaman Apprentice
I got a 16 ft starcraft from a friend (1972) it has ahe cable/ spring/pulley steering and was told by the local marina i should update. They saud they were not allowed to work on this type of steering. Anyway, what do you all out there recommend?
Is it an easy job or should it be left to the pro's.

Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Steering

First of all, the marina just doesn't WANT to work on it. Parts such as pulleys, springs, connectors or clamps, and aircraft cable are still available. So if it is functioning and/or you want to keep it, do so.

Now: That said, the aircraft cable type steering is old-fashioned. It was even out of date in 1972. It is not as precise or trouble-free as the rotary or rack and pinion steering helm. As one of the name brands back then, I'm surprised that Starcraft used it in any of their boats. If your boat were larger or highly powered, then I would strongly recommend changing the steering system.

If you want to replace it, a Teleflex or similar brand helm and single push-pull cable is the currently accepted steering for that type of boat. Cost? somewhere around 150 bucks for a basic system. Look right here at iboats.

Installing either system is fairly easy and just takes a little patience. Basic hand tools are all that are needed so unless you can't even screw in a spark-plug, you can do it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There is nothing wrong with a properly installed cable/pulley type steering. Properly installed is the key. That, and quality parts to begin with. It is amazing how many boats came from the factory with poorly installed systems. Done right and with the right parts, it actually works better on the old motors that do not have tilt tubes. I would not let anybody talk me into changing over to push-pull if I had such a motor.

Trouble is, nobody nowadays knows what they are doing on such systems....as you found out. Yes, if it is NOT properly installed, it can be downright dangerous. But can't the same thing be said about most anything else?

MikDee

Banned

A cable, & pulley sytem was the precursor to all the later model steering systems, it is all that was available years ago for outboards. There is nothing wrong with it, if it's in good shape, and installed properly. Generally if your engine is 100hp, or more, you might want to change to a newer better system. Installation is a bit tricky, but if you take your time, & think it out, anyone can do it. Just remember the powerhead of the outboard pivots to the right (looking from the top) as you turn the wheel to the right, (in a right turn) and the powerhead pivots to the left, when you turn the wheel to the left (in a left turn). Years ago a friend of mine put his boat in the water, off a rented trailer, and had the steering reversed, it was quite confusing for him while bringing it home to his canal, while trying to dock.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the easy way not to do that is , the cable has to come off the top of the drum. if it comes off the bottom. it is backwards.