06 Caravan smells hot and strange noise

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class
My caravan has the 3.3 engine and 47K miles. After even a small trip it has a smell, similar to overheating. It also has an occasional noise that seems louder when it is colder. We have a high of 7 today. We noticed the noise on a really cold day. Yesterday I got a call that the noise was worse.

My manual says that if snow or rain gets by the engine there will be a hot smell, but it seems to do it all the time even if there is dry roads.

The fluids are all good and the belts look pretty good.

Thanks in advance for any comments. Jeff

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 06 Caravan smells hot and strange noise

It could be a plugged up catalitic converter. When it smells hot look to see if the exhaust pipes in front of the cat are glowing hot. That will cause a hot smell.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Mmmmmmm 7 degrees? Live rural? Have tou checked for any mice nests? Ice blockage on the lower part of the radiator? Any lines might be plugged? How about your air vents are they clear?

What is the strange noise? Is it in the heater fan? Sounds like a blockage of some type.

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

Could the water pump be going out? It could be leaking a small amount of antifreeze and making a noise.

hate to say it but this is just one example of WHY AMERICANS STOP BUYING AMERICAN CARS. Caravans are well known for many many many many many many many many many problems.

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

hate to say it but this is just one example of WHY AMERICANS STOP BUYING AMERICAN CARS. Caravans are well known for many many many many many many many many many problems.

Well, let me start off, by saying, I'm not a Dodge boy. I'm just a realist.

However, could their 'many many many many many many many many many problems' be attributed to the fact that they have been selling 'many many many many many many many many many' caravans? To the tune of the #1 selling minivan?

What was is, 1983, or 1984 they came out with the caravan? I know they've had their share of transmission problems, etc. But, the 3.3 has been around for years. I'm sure the Dodge guru's will attest to this.

I doubt your problem is severe, Jeff. However, you'll be much better off to take it to a trusted repair shop to have it properly diagnosed. It saves you money in the long run, rather than changing parts, or consumables like muffler bearings, and blinker fluid.

Im not telling anyone what to buy, but I do find the list of consumer complaints, factory recalls amd service bulletins a "rather long read".

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the tips. I'll check the things mentioned. I know my problem is pretty vague. The noise is gone (our weather has warmed up).

Jeff

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. I'll have that checked.

Jeff

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had it into the garage for an exhaust valve and they said it sounded like the power steering. I added fluid and haven't had the noise since. Glad it was something simple.

Jeff

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I had it into the garage for an exhaust valve and they said it sounded like the power steering. I added fluid and haven't had the noise since. Glad it was something simple.

Jeff

A whole year later :confused:

D

DJ

Another issue that can arise in extreme cold, is an icing up PCV system (Positive Crankcase Ventilation). That is REGARDLESS of VEHICLE BRAND.

If the system clogs, it will give off a burnt oil smell. You may see signs of oil weepage around the PCV hose(s) on the valve cover(s).

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's Funny Howard, but here I am..

I had some friends that are pretty good with cars. We got in there and took a bunch of things off the motor and checked it out real good. They were still stumped. I just lived with it as it seemed like I was getting along OK.

In Sept I had the check engine light for my Exhaust Valve. When they replaced it the shop guy said he heard the noise as I posted above.

I decided to post in 'caus a lot of these questions seem like they never go answered. Just letting people know how it turned out in thanks for those who took the time to help with my problem.

Thanks again. Jeff