Slack in the pin

Gmonkey

Seaman Apprentice
The pin with the little angle in it that holds the reciever to the square tube part is not really tight, and there is a 'thump' in it whenever I go from brakes to the gas pedal. Is there a product that holds the pin in a little tighter?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Slack in the pin

Ayuh,.....
I've never ran across a reciever lock pin that was loose enough to produce a noticable Thump,.....
Most are so rusted,+ frozen,... They Never Move,... Even when you Want it too.....

Are you Sure that's where the play is,..??..??

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The pin with the little angle in it that holds the reciever to the square tube part is not really tight, and there is a 'thump' in it whenever I go from brakes to the gas pedal. Is there a product that holds the pin in a little tighter?
You talking on the tow vehicle or boat trailer?
Never seen a pin with a angle to it for the receiver.
If your talking about the hold down pin on the trailer coupler, you can tighten it from underneath.

JB

I am pretty sure that he is talking about the pin that locks the hitch into the receiver on the truck, Spinner.

The first thing I would do, gmonkey, is replace that pin with the bend with a locking pin. It is too vulnerable to thieves.

If that one still thumps take a look at the hitch to see if the hole for the pin is elongated. You might need a new hitch.

This is too obvious, but I gotta ask: You aren't using a 1-7/8" ball in a 2" socket, are you? Saw a Suburban that tried that. Trailer jumped off the ball in a hard stop and punched a big hole right through the back door.

brad1756

Cadet

If the holes are elongated you could get a hardened bolt of the best fit and tighten it down real good. It would probably fit better than your pin, and I doubt it would be stolen. It would take too long to get it off.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Or have the holes welded shut and re-drilled. Chances are the pin is not the culprit -- the ball mount is. There is enough slop in the fit of most of those so clunking is inevitable. Mine rattles when the boat isn't attached. I prefer it that way as it is an indication it is not yet rusted solid in the receiver.

SpinnerBait_Nut

That's the reason I don't leave mine in.
Take it out and insert the light plug in it.
Keeps everything in pretty good shape that way.

Hashi

Chief Petty Officer

I've got the same problem. The hole is slightly larger than the hitch pin and causes the "thump" mostly on take off. This is normal. If you're really concerned with it, try getting a sleeve to go over the pin or larger pin to fit the hole better. You don't want it too snug, otherwise it would be difficult to remove from the hitch.

tashasdaddy

are you sure it is the pin. the trailer coupler is adjustable also, nut on bottom. that has caused me more noise than the reciever & drawbar. also 1 7/8 on 2 inch.

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer

It could also be the surge brakes (aka hydraulics). When you're stopping the trailer pushes forward some, thus engaging the trailer's hydraulic brakes. When you pull forward ("take off") the trailer slides back a little, releases the brakes and off you go. In other words, it's normal - - within reason and assuming you aren't out of adjustment.

Gmonkey

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the replys guys. I'm pretty sure the slack is in the drawbar/reciever connection. When I yank on the ball, that's where I see movement. I do have a locking pin, but the slack is in the elongated holes, mostly the drawbar ones. I like the idea of the hardened bolt with a good lock nut on it. Would stainless steel be sufficient? My $20 lockin' one got quite rusty.

Zetman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would check your surge brakes too just to be safe this is where my biggest clunkling came from

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for all the replys guys. I'm pretty sure the slack is in the drawbar/reciever connection. When I yank on the ball, that's where I see movement. I do have a locking pin, but the slack is in the elongated holes, mostly the drawbar ones. I like the idea of the hardened bolt with a good lock nut on it. Would stainless steel be sufficient? My $20 lockin' one got quite rusty.

If you see much movement in the receiver shaft / drawbar connection, and if you can see the holes are elongated, then I'd think you really need to fix that issue. The holes should be round so the receiver pin will fit snugly and not move -- they should not be elongated. If it's the holes in the drawbar that are elongated, you can replace that fairly readily. Just be sure to get the correct amount of drop / rise.

If the hitch itself has elongated holes, I'd probably seriously consider replacing the hitch. Depending on your tow vehicle, you can find one at reasonable cost custom-fit for your vehicle at someplace like etrailer.com.

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

You might try a cushioned ball mount. i-boats has a cushioned hitch pin also. I see your from north Georgia. Looks like you finally got at least one good rain down there.

Wotam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine all clunk a little bit... I reckon they have to put a little 'slack' in the holes to compensate for manufacturing variations. There's also a bit of slack between the insert and the receiver, so that's not exactly a precision fit either.

If the pin holes are wallowed out though, it needs some attention.

As posted above, there are rubber cushioned inserts available to remove the clunk if it annoys you too much.

Gmonkey

Seaman Apprentice

I see your from north Georgia. Looks like you finally got at least one good rain down there.

It rained yesturday, and again (hopefully) tommorow night. It's funny how our drought made national headlines. Where I go, Lake Allatoona, has come up 5.5 feet since mid Dec. Lake Lanier has come up less than a foot and may take years to reach full pool.

I got a stainless steel bolt and a locking nut. It's SAE and fits pretty snug. This will solve the problem b/c most of the hole elongation is in the part that attatches to the truck. The metric size bolt will be tighter. It may be too tight though. They had to order me one.

jevery

Chief Petty Officer

I grew up in Warner Robins and learned to love boating on Lake Sinclair. It's just hard to imagine drought in that part of the Country - Seemed like it rained every other day.

Gmonkey

Seaman Apprentice

Sometimes it does.
2007 was almost the driest year in recorded history for Georgia. It missed the record by about an inch.

Thanks for all the replys guys. I didn't know that the trailer coupler was adjustable. I don't think it needs adjustment, but I'll look at that too. Today I pick my boat up from a shop that is repairing the damage done by another shop that tuned up the engine. They chipped the hell out of the gelcoat, and broke my jack stand thingy. Yeah, it's a freebie.