115 Speed Display

novicesailor

Recruit
Hi People
I am new to this forum and so I am sorry if this question has already been asked and answered before. The problem I have is with a 2005, 115 Saltwater Series 2 stroke. I was using it recently and got into a little bit of mud :( (please dont ask how:redface:). After getting out of that predicament, the speed display would not read:confused:.
All of the other gauges are working ok. I am sure it is a bit of dirt or mud somewhere it shouldn't be.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.
Cheers James

angler53

Seaman
Re: 115 Speed Display

My F150 does it all the time. Most of the time it works fine the next outing but not this time. It hasn't worked now for a while. I use the gps for speed info anyway. There must be a place on the lower unit to where we can clean the muck out of it. rodbolt will know, I'm sure.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

look on the leading edge of the gearcase about 2" above the propshaft centerline, you will see a tiny hole. its packed with mud.
use a small drill bit and clear it. I use a torch cleaning bit set thats hand held,
DO NOT break off the bit.

novicesailor

Recruit

Thanks rodbolt, I'll try that tonight after work and see how I go.
Cheers

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

Also pay close attention to how you made it work. You may be doing it a lot if you want to keep it cleaned out.

novicesailor

Recruit

Hi Guys
Rodbolt, you were spot on, cleaned it with a small piece of wire and dirty water and crud came out. I think that will be the answer and will be back in touch for more advice if it does not work when I put it in the water next.
Angler, you should try the same thing.
Thanks once again.
James