Another Noob trying to restore a boat!

ForceFed79

Cadet
Hi all, well, just like many others here I just purchased my first boat. Its an aluminum 1988 Blue Fin 1700. I'm primarly going to be using this boat for fishing. It has been stored outside with no cover for a few years and the weather has definatly been unkind to it, but i'm ready and excited for the challenge. The deck was replaced last year or so with treated plywood. I have been reading about all the different types of plywood available and what to buy and what to stay away from, but I don't really know what it all means...I.E. CCA, AC, plywood drying and many other things. I guess i'm looking for advice and some great threads to read. You guys obviously have a ton more experiance than I do, so i'm kinda counting on you guys to get me through this project. With that said:

Where do I begin? How can I tell if the plywood that was used on the floor is the correct one? What type of fastners should I be using? I need to rebuild the helm because it feels a little weak so what type of wood should I use for that? Can I use regular plywood and seal it? if so with what product.

I know i'm asking a million questions, but like many i'm working with a budget and I wan't to make sure i'm doing everything right. I'm not the type of person to do anything half-assed.

Well, thanks in advance for all the advice. I'm looking forward to getting this thing out on the water!

ForceFed79

Cadet
Re: Another Noob trying to restore a boat!

Here is a few pics of the ol' money pit...lol I think I got a good deal...boat, trailer, and motor for $500

DSCI0008.jpg

DSCI0007.jpg

DSCI0005.jpg

DSCI0004.jpg

DSCI0002.jpg

Last edited:

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to Iboats. To answer your question on the fasteners, I would go with stainless steel. These guys here are great, just give them some time and they will reply to your post. Money pit can really describe any old boat, of coarse boat stands for Break Out Another Thousand.

watermellonI

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like a decent boat, I don t know much about aluminum hulls
As far as the deck goes are there any soft spots?
Thats where you start lookin for rot and leaks from being in the weather. Check all over the inside of the boat not just where you would stand but also near corners and storage lockers.
As far as replacing bad areas or the whole deck the wood that people are referring to is pressure treated types of plywood. When you buy it it is still wet with the pressure treating process and has to dry for awhile in order for resin and fiberglass(and just about anything else) to adhere to it. The plywood has voids or small gaps inside the higher the grade the less gaps inside(more$$)
If the deck was just replaced last year with presure treated your probably ok there, maybe just start shoppin for some new carpet or consider going bare, since its a fishin boat.

Capt. Mike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not a fishing man myself, but looks like you have a good boat to start with. If done right it will be almost like new.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Great deal for 500 bucks! Does the motor run?

a70eliminator

Captain

Wow 500 bucks I'll say you got a deal, boats like that go for 2500 around here. I would start by stripping the whole interior beginning with the carpet and save every piece no matter how damaged or rotted because you may need it for a template later, take lots of pictures of everything motor wiring and all before you disturb it.

Or you could just get it in somewhere warm and dry, give it a month or so to dry out give it a go.

D

DJ

Aluminum boats are easy to restore. Decks are easily replaceable (Yes, keep old pieces for templates).

Use stainless steel screws.

ForceFed79

Cadet

Hey guys, thanks a bunch for replying so fast. I will definately take your advice.

As far as the motor goes. It ran the last time the previous owner had it out in the water which was about 2 years ago. He told me he put stab-il in it just before he parked it for storage. The empty bottle was still in the boat when I bought it, so I guess I have to believe him. I did hook up a battery and gave it a couple of cranks just to make sure it wasn't seized up. Everything looked like it was there and in the right place.

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

Three catalogs that you need in your library: Defender, Hamilton Marine and Jamestown Distributors. Google all of them and get the freebies. Good info in all of them and Jamestown has building and repair sites on the web.

Good luck with your boat, it looks like a real bargain!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the fuel sender for the built in tank, is under the motor well, access door. remove sender, take a hose that will go thru the transom drain plug, and siphon all that old gas out. tilt bow up to get it all.

ForceFed79

Cadet

Thanks again everyone.....Tashasdaddy, the previous owner bought a larger fuel tank, 7.5 gal I think. Anywhoo, When he replaced the flooring he never put it back, so that is sitting inside the boat too and of course it's full of 2 year old 2 cycle gasoline. I don't know what i'm going to do with that stuff.

I'm glad you brought up the gas tank though. Since the newer tank is much bigger than the original he modified the aft portion of the boat. It is the area between the motor and the aft bulkhead. He actually got some sheet metal and raised that section up quite a bit to make room for the larger tank, but he did a terrible job. I'm not sure what this area is called, but I would like to re-do that area and make it look like it is supposed to be. How could I fit the larger fuel tank in that spot? Could I cut a section out of the flooring so it will sit lower in the boat? Is that a good Idea? I'll have to take a picture so I can show everyone what i'm talking about.

Joe_the_boatman

Chief Petty Officer

Good deal for $500 on that boat. My $200 starcraft and trailer isn't nearly as nice. Lots of good info in these forums - use the search function extensively and plan to do a lot of reading.

The new PT plywood (as of 2003) uses copper instead of arsenic as a preservative. In a wet, electrically conductive environment (i.e. a boat), you'll get galvanic corrosion between them. However, after all my research, I've decided to use pressure treated plywood in my (aluminum) boat, and will insulate the wood and aluminum with epoxy wherever they may touch.

CCA is the arsenic PT. It's not "outlawed", its uses are limited now by law. Marine use in boats/docks is approved. Problem is finding it. ACQ (copper) stuff is what's likely at HD or Lowes.

Use SS screws. They're worth the extra $10-$20 you'll spend on them since you won't have to replace them in 5 years.

My advice to you is to look wherever the deck (floor) is touching aluminum and check for a white powder. If you see corrosion, insulate the 2 somehow to stop it. I wouldn't replace the existing deck - if it is ACQ PT, a little insulation work is all that's needed to keep it from reacting.

As for non-pressure treated wood, many (_MANY_) people use it here (covered in epoxy to seal it) and have good experience with it. After removing my transom and 2 layers non-PT plywood for the deck (from the last owner), I'm using PT from now on.

Good luck and keep us posted. And, take lots of pictures, you'll want to show off your work.

Coors

Captain

One thought- fish and carpet are not friendly.

Great deal for 500 bucks! Does the motor run?
Hey ,since you are close to monroe check out todays craigslist with the aluminum duracraft and 35 evinrude,great deal for 800 bucks. If the wife wouldnt scream about another toy I would get it. This is my kind of boat maybe you know someone that wants it.