Strange combination of 1987 Mariner 45hp problems..?

paulofpanama

Recruit
Saw the good feed back to the gas guzzling 45hp Mariner so I thought I would throw this out there..? I have a 1987 Mariner 45, (without thermostat) equipped with WALBRO carbs with integral fuel pumps & one piece choke plate. The motor came with a boat I bought. I know it ran good in the past then sat for a long time. Anyway one thing my motor does is fouls out plugs in about and hour and I was hoping maybe it was running to cool and I could change the thermostat. That was how I found out it has no thermostat! The thing about this motor is with clean plugs it would run fair to ok but not to full rpm. I will run it full open without reaching full rpm but then sometimes out of the blue it will jump up to full rpm for a few minutes or more running like it should then drop off again, it is more off than on. It is like an intermittent ignition/electrical problem somewhere?? And the fuel economy is not bad. I have dried everything out checked the leads, wiring, grounds etc but I have not run the problem down yet. Some better testing tools arrive soon.

I am in Central America with it and I had a so called Mercury shop here check it but they are real shade tree here with virtually zero diagnostic tools or brains it seems, did not even have a timing light or know what one was I think. They just stuck it in a water tank ran it and said everything was fine which I realized was not true as soon as I started running the motor on my boat again. Have one spare coil & new leads to try also, one cylinder at a time I guess... Any tips appreciated. I am mechanically inclined just not much experience with outboards. Motorcycles & turbine airplanes are my specialty not outboards.

Was leaning in the direction of, plug wires and coil swapping. (waiting on a timing light) I tried getting the flywheel off to inspect there (stators & trigger) but without the correct puller (on order now) I couldn?t. Interesting discovery while I had it apart I decided to pull the carbs and rebuild them. Big surprise..! The bottom carburetor bowl was bone dry the bowl had dust in it and also a small hole where corrosion had pitted all the way through! Anyway this Carb was not leaking any fuel when I was running the motor so it had fuel blockage somewhere..? Nothing ever reached the bowl? Line, internal, etc (have not had time yet to discover where yet?) Anyway was surprised to find that being as the motor ran good sometimes. Is it possible to run ok on one carb and still foul spark plugs..? Seemed like a strange combination to me. Wish I would have checked it under power to see if it was drawing any air through that bottom carb..? I have to have been running it on one carb all this time.

I was short on tools when I first dove into tuning this motor up but when I hit it again I?ll have a timing light, spark gap tester, automotive clamp on rpm gauge, compression gauge, & flywheel puller. And two rebuilt carbs, though I don?t think they are related to the rpm jumping up & down..? That feels like electrical to me, but just where I don?t know...? I will take any troubleshoot tips on where to focus my attention. One other thing when I bought it the exhaust port was coked up with some good sized nodules of carbon like possible from a history of running too rich..?

Thanks in advance.

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Strange combination of 1987 Mariner 45hp problems..?

I have a 40 hp mariner, that fouled plugs often enough that I bought a ratchet and spark plug socket and always carried two new plugs on the boat so I could fix the problem in about a minute while on the water. Well I finally thought I would try and find out why it was doing this, and it turned out that the needle valve was turned out almost 5 complete turns, instead of the 1and 1/2 recommendation! I readjusted the valve to 1 and 1/2 turns and the fine tuned it and haven't had a problem since. This doesnt seem to be all of your troubles, but you might check that as well.

Laddies

Banned

You may have a inlet needle leaking in 1 carb or a ignition problem heres the test for the ign. system it will be easier than switching parts.
scan0003.jpg

j_martin

Admiral

Paul,
With you ambition and tendency to acquire needed tools, you would do well to get the mercury factory maintenance manual for that engine.

If you do the link and sync setup procedure in the manual, any other problems in the engine will become aparent, as the adjustments won't work as in the book. Fixing it instead of "tweaking" will give you a very strong, reliable motor for your trouble.

hope it helps
John

paulofpanama

Recruit

Thanks for the info. Plug swapping was second nature for me after awhile I was also doing it on the water in about 5 minutes. Lacquer thinner cleans them right up and they were ready for the next swap. The carbs both being in operation when I start in again can?t hurt things but I believe I will still have an ignition problem.. And the trouble shooting chart is better than anything I had. Much thanks for that. I will try and get my findings posted when I finish. Much appreciated

paulofpanama

Recruit

About the manual..? I have the Seloc Manual but several people have said to get a mercury factory maintenance manual. Is the factory manual that much better or am I just as well off with the Seloc manual. Seloc does not seem to have much in the way of trouble-shooting mostly rebuild info and basic tune-up stuff. Thanks for the input.

j_martin

Admiral

About the manual..? I have the Seloc Manual but several people have said to get a mercury factory maintenance manual. Is the factory manual that much better or am I just as well off with the Seloc manual. Seloc does not seem to have much in the way of trouble-shooting mostly rebuild info and basic tune-up stuff. Thanks for the input.

The after market manuals try to cover a large number of models. Sometimes you lose one in the mix, and sometimes the info is conflicting. There is some information in them that's hard to get out of the factory manuals, like charts from which you can figure out what carbs go on what engines.

The factory manual listed in the mercury parts list for your engine will cover a smaller number of models in greater detail. The factory link n sync is considered the valid starting point for checking out an engine that's been "messed with".

With both manuals you can generally find out what you need to know, even if you intend to modify things.

hope it helps
John

jimg984

Chief Petty Officer

i would try some spark plugs with a hotter heat range

someone may stuck in the wrong heat range plugs in the past

j_martin

Admiral

i would try some spark plugs with a hotter heat range

someone may stuck in the wrong heat range plugs in the past

Don't guess and patch. Get the manual and troubleshoot.

hope it helps
John