question about using spray bottle to put gas into carbs

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer
I need to use a spray bottle to spray gas into my carb to see if my fuel delivery system is my problem with my motor not running right. I was wondering if a cheapo spray bottle from walmart in the travel toilitery section will work, or will the gas eat away at the plastic?

wbeaton

Commander
Re: question about using spray bottle to put gas into carbs

Should be fine. I use one from the gardening section.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i use a squeeze bottle. that came with some oxi clean.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I used a cleaned out Windex bottle. I did notice a day later that the nozzle seemed to be leaking so I think that it eventually does eat up the plastic.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

I use an old nose/nasal spray bottle...been using it for years, never needed all the bottle and apparently fuel proof too.

jwilkey84

Chief Petty Officer

Wow, some ideas I wouldn't have thought of otherwise, Thanks guys. I like the nasal spray idea.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

haha... there were good ideas there... I spray in foging oil and then quick start...

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

I've used an old windex bottle filled with mixed gas to start my 79' 85HP evinrude back when I was bringing it back from the dead, of coarse I cleaned the carbs first. I also was working on an 18HP Johnson for a friend, he couldn't get the motor to run, he could only get it to fire. I asked if he had a spray bottle of any kind and he brought me one, I filled it up with mixed gas and fired the motor right up. From there I did the adjustments on the carb for him, got it running pretty decent.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

I save the plastic straw's That come on a WD-40 can. Punch a small hole in a coke bottle cap so that the straw is a tight fit. This way you can reach into those hard to get at places. I have been using the same coke bottle for a couple of years.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Remember to vent the bottle when not using it since it will pressurize if warmed or vacuum if cooled. That's why the spray nozzle is leaking when sitting.