Keelshield question

a70eliminator

Captain
I didn't want to get reprimanded at for hyjacking the thread below so I'm starting a new one.
I recently bought a 12' keelshield for my 20' boat. The suggested length was actually 7' I think for my boat, anyhow what I had planned to do is run the thing all the way up to the bowcap in order to hide some damage at the bow eye and because I didn't like the idea of how it just randomly ends. Anyone whom has installed the shield forsee any problem with running all the way up the bow, and clearancing either a slot or two holes for the bow eye? I figure if it doesn't work out for me I'll have some leftover for another boat or my swim platform.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Keelshield question

if you can get to your bow eye from inside to remove it would be a better application, then reseal with some 3m 4200, on reinstallation.

a70eliminator

Captain

Well luckily I can get to bow eye, thanks to my newly built anchor locker, I have a mental picture of it looking way better then just having it end in the middle of nowhere like in all the photo ads they show.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I am considering adding one to mine.I just wonder if the bow eye is bolted through the keel guard will it be able to tighten down without distorting the keel guard.It may cause it to lose the bond by pushing it out of shape at the bow eye.It sure would look much better extending all the way up the bow.
Let us know if you do it that way and how it turns out.

D

DJ

I am considering adding one to mine.I just wonder if the bow eye is bolted through the keel guard will it be able to tighten down without distorting the keel guard.It may cause it to lose the bond by pushing it out of shape at the bow eye.It sure would look much better extending all the way up the bow.
Let us know if you do it that way and how it turns out.

I would not put the bow eye through it.

Youreally do not need them to go very high on the bow. THat part rarely sees any damaging blows.

shibby00

Cadet

I would be interested in seeing how it turns out also. I am thinking of installing just below the bow eye only.

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Why not cut out the area of keel guard that the bow eye goes thru?
Just a thought.