1977 55 hp Evinrude carb ???'s

dukhnter8

Seaman Apprentice
I'm rebuilding the carbs on my motor and noticing a few things after reading alot on here about it.
The carbs look clean, no gumming/oils, the metal is almost shiny, can they be dirty even when they look clean?
Also I got the kits and noticed on ishop's diagram that it shows two different orfices for the upper and lower carbs, but the kits just have one orfice only. Do I need to order the other one or should they be the same? I will take them apart and see if there is any difference between the two but wondered if I should get one ordered.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1977 55 hp Evinrude carb ???'s

that is not an orifice, it is the float needle seat. item 27 in diagram # 35 is the high speed orifice, # 30 is low speed orifice. you need a special screwdriver to remove them.

Attachments

• carb tool.JPG
    carb tool.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 0
  • FixedJetScrewdriver2.jpg
    FixedJetScrewdriver2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 0
  • carb diagram.gif
    carb diagram.gif
    10.9 KB · Views: 0

dukhnter8

Seaman Apprentice

It would be no. 38 on that diagram and Ishop lists two numbers for it. Listed as orifice, idle used on upper carb #0318823 or orifice, idle used on upper carb #0317473. That's my question is there a difference between these two?

I've made the screw driver for removing them and the high speed looks good and clean.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

yes there is a difference, but i have never seen a kit come with the the jets. only the needle valve seat and needle. the jets would have to be ordered separately.