Outboard Jet unit on 75hp Looking for information

MuskyHunterDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello. . . .

I recently purchased a 1975 Evinrude 70hp outboard with a "Outboard Jet" on it.

Model - L
Serial - 7227
24" drive Shaft (overall)

I am planning on setting it up on an aluminum boat to run in the Spokane River here, and while I am a very competent individual and able to do a rebuild, I have never seen or worked on one of these pumps, and am in need of some advice / information to assure a proper rebuild.

It was used in Brackish water prior to me buying it, so I want to go through it, and make sure it is in top shape before using it, but I am having trouble finding information on the pump. I have searched the internet endlessly, and while I had found "some" information, it is not detailed enough for a rebuild.

Can the aluminum housing be lightly sandblasted to remove the slight corrosion from the salt water / old paint (was brushed on), or is there a better way of doing it ?

Is there anywhere I can get a detailed "Exploded View" of the unit and how it goes together / comes apart ?? I found one online, but it was a little vague as to how the four bolts that hold the main bearing in, and how to remove the bearings. I ask because I removed the 4 bolts on the impeller side, as well as the split ring on the top side of the bearing, and I want to replace the seals and inspect the bearings, but Not sure how to remove the bearings (it seems Stuck). Also there where two grooves in the Drive shaft where it sits in the bearing, and one groove had a round split ring, but the other groove did not, should there be two??

There are four splines at the top of the drive shaft, but each look to be worn back in a little over an 1/8 of an inch so to speak in from the original vertical machining & about 1/4" short of the top and bottom of the splines. Is this normal wear, lube grooves or ???

I am not 100% certain on the above things, and want to make sure it is complete as well (no missing parts), so a complete parts breakdown, and any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated !!

I currently have it completely stripped down (expect the bearings & exhaust), and removed the two bolts holding in the exhaust tube, but it does not want to come out, is there a trick to that ?? I wanted to remove it and thoroughly clean the housing before rebuilding it, as it was run in salt water.

Is there an owners manual or repair manual in PDF format, any one know ?

Are there local dealers for parts / info, as the outboard jets web page does not list them . . . .

I live in Eastern Washington State / Spokane

Thanks in advance for the help, and have a GREAT DAY !!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Outboard Jet unit on 75hp Looking for information

First thing I would do is get yourself a manual. To take off jet unit, take off the shoe and impeller, then look into the jet. You will see four large bolts and four small bolts. Remove the four large bolts, and one bolt near the nozzle on the outsize of the jet, and your jet should come off. Be carefull as it weighs around 20 or 30 pounds. You might have to work a little to get it off, but don't force it too much.

The four smaller bolts you see probably do not need to be removed. These bolts hold in the main bearing of the jet unit.While you are this far, push up and down on the shaft to make sure the bearing is in good condition. There should not be any slop either way; it should feel tight.

View attachment 8350

Once you get your jet unit off, it would be a good idea to replace your water pump assembly and impeller. These sit right on top of the jet unit. As long as you got this far, you might as well replace it as preventive maintenance. Water pump impellers are much cheaper than your engine overheating, so replace them every season or two depending on use. And NEVER run your engine out of water, it will chew these rubber impellers up in seconds.

When you get it all back together, remember to grease your jet periodically! Outboard Jet Corp. recommends that you grease your jet bearing every 10 hours of use. Just grease it until you can see grease come out the outlet and you are done. It takes just a few seconds to do, and keeps it well lubricated.

When inspecting your metal impeller, you don't want to see any major pitting, and you want your edges to be nice and sharp. Stainless steel impellers are available on some models. They provide better performance due to less flexing, and are more durable than aluminum. Here is a close up after sharpening the impeller. To do this, simple get the impeller and a metal hand file, and try to match the exising angle. The aluminum is soft, so I would not advise using a power grinder. It doesn't take much and you will have your leading edges knife-sharp and ready to really bite into the water.

impeller_edge_small.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

help.jpg

Sorry about original attachment.

MuskyHunterDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pump has already been removed, but as noted (SEE MY ORIGINAL POST AT TOP) I cannot get the bearing out, and still have other questions. Thanks for the info, but I had already found that info.

Where can a guy get a repair book for this pump ??

Thanks
Dave

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

seloc makes one or you can contact americn jet.
be aware that the driveshaft bearing mount has chnged at least once in the past 10 years or so. someplce on the Jet unit is a tag or was.
the jet was NOT manufactured by OMC nd occasionally its hard to find pieces.
once the Ubolt that holds the exhaust tube in place is removed the tube will slip out. corrosion may make it difficult.
if that tube has any pin holes or holes in general you will be amazed at what it does to engine performance. has drove many a good tech nuts.
be careful with the outboard water pump,occasionally the pump housing changed between the jet and the outboard.

MuskyHunterDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay . . . . . I have it all dismantled, and the bearing is good, but I need new seals why I have it apart. Are these available via Evinrude or say Sierra / Seaway ??

Also Is there anywhere I can get a detailed "Exploded View" of this actual unit and how it goes together / comes apart ?? I ask because 1. I want to know I am buying the right parts for this older model. 2. there where two grooves in the Drive shaft where it sits in the bearing, and one groove had a round split ring, but the other groove did not, should there be two?? 3. I see in modern / updated diagram there are two spirolox on each end of the bearing housing one above and below the larger seals, yet mine when dismantled only had one for the lower seals and one for the upper seals, so am I missing these, or was that an upgrade not present on my model??

To get her all back together RIght, Like I want, I am currently in need of a seal kit, the sleeve for the inpeller, the nut & shim gaskets as well as the winged washer for the nut / drive shaft, and also I need to know if the waterpump used is the same as the one used if it was a prop lower unit . . . . .

I am not 100% certain on the above things, and want to make sure it is complete as well (nothing missing), so any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated !!

Once again, and as always THANKS Guys for any and all advice here !!