automotive paints

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer
i dont know if this is the right fourm or not but i realized i still have about a half gallon of white dupont automotive paint and clear coat left over from a project a while back, but its in the garage and probably frozen solid will it be ok if thawed and throughly mixed before using?

mudmagnet63

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: automotive paints

With all the prep work involved in painting , why take a chance

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

old paint????? seams like it has a short shelf life after opening. but there are many trailer boats painted with auto paint, that hold up well.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

First off it's not gonna' freeze, unless you have acrylic which I doubt. The only problem with using old, opened paint is some of your chemicals might bleed out. This will cause anything from poor bonding to the product not drying completely - or ever. All depends how long since opened and how well the can was resealed.

kalla man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i remember having some two part urethane where the printout said to discard the paint after one year....not sure what effect the cold temps have on it.

Ezrider_92356

Chief Petty Officer

its probably about 8 months old, and has been well sealed, i was thinking of using it on my boat. i was just going to block it out with some 600 grit and shoot it. if i dont use this paint ill probably wait till next year to paint it, at this time cosmetics arent my top concern but was thinking about it seems how i have paint here, and it is quality Dupont automotive paint